[BUG] Subselect Edge with example

Hi guys,
this is something I have seen for years but never gotten around to report.
Sometimes when I edge modify a box (Shift-Ctrl select the edge and use Gumball to move up and down) I encounter situations where Rhino suddenly don’t want to select an edge any more.

See file and try to subselect the edge:
SelEdge bug.3dm (193.8 KB)

This happens when in RENDERED MODE only as far as I can see. Shaded works fine.
This happens in both V6 and V7.

To work around the issue I use the MoveEdge command. BUT this isn’t a good workaround because then I can’t also select other objects to move at the same time.

Please see if you can figure it out.

In the process please also add a wish for a SelEdge command that works just like subselecting but that filters out any other objects and that also works with “shift-drag-rectangle-selection” (in lack of a better word)

Cheers!

Hi Jorgen - edges can be selected in any mode (here) that displays them, and not if the mode is not set to show edges.

SelectionFilterEdges should help with the second request…?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal.
Edges can be selected in rendered mode even with them turned off.
Which is great, but sometimes objects won’t let that happen. That’s why I report this :slight_smile:
But I see that If I make a box and edit one edge:

Then the next time I try it selects only one of the faces.

Please try for your self.

Hi Jorgen- I tried it, of course… here, I can never sub-object-select edges if they are not displayed in the current mode.

-Pascal

Really?
Not even on a new box?
None the less I want it though :smile:
and since subselecting surfaces is possible edges would be smooth too.
Modelling in rendered with no curves visible is often a good design /evaluation scenario.
Cheers!

Hi Jorgen - I am being a bit sluggish about this one, enthusiasm wise - I assume this is designed behavior matching Rhino’s general reluctance to be able to interactively select what you cannot see. I could easily see this could come back to bite us where this ca , currently, be used as a sort of selection filter. You cannot select top level objects - say curves - if they are not displayed in that vp.

-Pascal

Well, you can select subD edges, mesh faces and vertices in V7 if SubD edges are not visible.

And I can on all my machines select the edge of a new box with Shift-Ctrl-LMB in rendered if those edges are not drawn either. (But I can only alter it once, then it turn into a polysurface and is no longer an extrusion object, so that might be the case here.)

Please look at it once more, all I wish for is consistency so I can model efficiently in the display mode I prefer :slight_smile:

Maybe the bug is that I CAN select a box edge once though… do you have extrusion objects turned off?

Indeed that is so… I can’t tell if that is by design or an oversight since until recently there has not been much one can do with mesh edges and SubD inherited the behavior - my guess - but I am ‘investigating’… (= ask people smarter than me)
First reaction from Jeff was that it is a bug, but then again maybe not…
RH-61032 Sub-object selection and visibility

-Pascal

1 Like

:smiley: Thanks man!

Oh, and here is a 4 second render of a WIP to lighten up this thread:

(minor edit: the blinker had to be a bit yellower)

1 Like

So nice… I so like my 120s to have the right license plate too… hmm -150? I’m going with 150.
-Pascal

Yes, beauty is in the details as they say… and yes, it’s a XK150 build.
It’s just the front (so far) so they Leaper has an environment around it. Wouldn’t mind having the time to do the rest though…

I cannot find (quick look around) an image of an XK with the leaper… you are freelancing there , right?

-Pascal

You are right, they are few, and this is the image that started the build, it was only after searching for more reference photos I discovered it was more common with out it:

It’s a beautiful thing. Nice work on the model & rendering.

-Pascal

1 Like

Thanks, it’s actually dead simple… just one, large, overhead rectangular light and no environment HDRI + a backdrop.

3 Likes