Bug report: Embedded pictures change their texture unexpectedly

I have seen a strange bug intermittently in Rhino, where pictures in a Rhino model change their appearance. I cannot immediately recreate it in a small example, but some steps that have caused it previously are something like these:
(1) Drag an image file (generally PNG) into the Rhino model. Accept “Picture” in the Image Options popup.
(2) Scale and move that image.
(3) Do some other unrelated actions.
Either
(4a) Change properties of the picture – for example, in the Material tab, select Grayscale in the Texture details. Save Rhino file and reopen.
Or
(4b) Paste in an unrelated object from another Rhino file.

At the end of those steps, the picture (call it Picture1) now looks like some other image file (call it Picture2) in the same directory – probably one that has also been added to the Rhino model as a Picture. It may be a stretched version of Picture2. I think the reason Picture1 looks like this second image (Picture2) is that the Picture1 has been unexpectedly set to use Picture2 as its texture.

Does this bug make any sense? Are there any workarounds to avoid it (for example, more robust ways to put an image file into the model)? – So far, for all the times when I have seen the bug in action, the change has been visibly obvious, and an obvious workaround has been to remove the corrupted picture, replace it, and hope that the problem does not reoccur. In theory, the problem could be more insidious.

It seems like the problem is that when a picture is dragged into the Rhino model, the texture file is not defined by the full path to the image file, but by some other, more fragile definition – (maybe “the most recent image file”, or “the first file you find in directory X”). This is just a guess.

Thanks in advance for any pointers. Sorry I can’t send a working example – even the full-scale examples are intermittent, and the files are confidential.

Hi Ed - are the images on a network or a local HD?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal. This varies, but in the most recent example, the images were on a local HD. Picture2 was saved locally after Picture1 was inserted, if that makes any difference.

Hi Ed - it would be helpful, of course, to have a repeatable example. Right now I am mystified, but I’ll see if I can reproduce it. Can you please run the SystemInfo command in Rhino and post the results?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal. Please see below for output from SystemInfo. The bug has happened occasionally in the past several months, and I update Rhino when prompted to, so it is not associated with just one specific version. As for reproducing the behaviour: it’s very difficult. Yesterday, I had a model where it happened consistently. Now I reopen that model and it does not seem to misbehave at all.
Ed

Rhino 7 SR26 2023-1-9 (Rhino 7, 7.26.23009.07001, Git hash:master @ 92abcf7c453c78a236526390d91d0ac1f6779143)
License type: Commercial, build 2023-01-09
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19045 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 7-21-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 516.94
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 7-21-2022
Driver Version: 31.0.15.1694
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.26.23009.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.26.23009.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.26.23009.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.26.23009.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.26.23009.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”