Bug Report: Crashing due material issue

Hi
this is a little possible bug I’ve come across in Rhino Mac 7.
I wanted to work on an element of a larger project in a separate file, so I exported the selected object as a 3DM.
The object itself (in the original file) had an image-based PBR material applied ‘by layer’.
When I opened the new file it worked fine for editing the surface etc.
The layer setup was intact, and I could see the material ‘PY4’ still indicated as attached to the layer.
However, when I rendered, the object was rendered as if it had no material attached.
Then, when I clicked on the ‘paint tube’ material tab, or clicked on the layer material circle, Rhino just crashed.
I tried it a few times, same issue every time.
I could fix the crash problem, by moving the object to a new layer, and deleting the problematic layer etc
But I thought it might be worth bringing up for the dev team.
Here is the problematic file:
Metro-SingleTile.3dm (3.2 MB)
Hope this is useful.
Cheers Peter

Further to this, I went back to the original larger Rhino file, and it also created when I went to edit the material. So it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the export process.

I think the original file was created in Rhino 6 and updated to Rhino 7 later. I also think that the texture image files have certainly changed location.

Hi Peter -

I was not able to get Rhino to crash with your file. I’m not sure if that has anything to do with this, but, when I open your file, the object is on the “CeramicTiles” layer, not on the “RY4” layer. That explains why it renders as if it had no material attached.

I see that you have a few non-default plug-ins on your system. Does Rhino still crash when you disable those plug-ins and restart Rhino?
-wim

Hi Wim

sorry, the file had autosaved before I uploaded it, so I had already moved the mesh.

Have you tried clicking on the RY4 layer material circle to attempt to edit it?

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter -

I did that, yes. It didn’t crash Rhino here.
-wim

Hi Wim

Interesting. Crashes like a charm on my machine…

Sorry to waste your time!

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter -

You are not wasting my time!
We need to be able to reproduce the crash in order to be able to fix it.
I saw your crash report come through and can have a developer have a closer look at that. Most likely, though, that crash dump alone won’t get us far.

It’d be good to be able to get the 3rd party plug-ins out of the equation first, so, please disable those, start Rhino again, and see if that still crashes. If it does with those plug-ins disabled, make sure to also submit that crash report!
-wim