Bug - Quit Rhinoceros - fails - Force Quit required

Marlin and Dan,

I just installed Rhino For Mac 5.0.1 (5A858).

It appears to start and run as expected.

When I select

Top Menu > Rhinoceros > Quit Rhinoceros

Rhino does not quit. I get the infinite color pinwheel of doom when I click on any Rhino related UI real estate after clicking on Top Menu > Rhinoceros > Quit Rhinoceros.

I have to click on the Rhino icon on the app dock at the bottom of the screen and select “Force Quit” in order to shut down Rhino. If I don’t do this, I cannot log out.

I have cycled power twice and can repeat the bug.
Finder and Chrome are the only other apps that are running.

I had the identical issue with the previous version of Rhino and previous version of OS X.

Hardware: New MacBook Pro, OS X 10.10.4

– Dale Lear

Do you run Cura or the latest driver from 3D Connexion ?

This is good news, of sorts…finally we have a McNeel developer who can reproduce this on their machine. We’ll want to look at this soon.

FWIW (Been too buried to do much but lurk as a result of moving the past several days), I’ve had the same issue as well. It’s a 3D Connexion related issue. Once I started using it I’ve also had to force quit. And I still have to put together a tut on how to actually get the buttons to work. Still dealing with the aftermath of moving so as soon as I get some breathing room I’ll get on that.

It first showed up as I was using previously generated files to test the macros and such with the SpacePilot Pro (which, for the record is a fully supported device under the latest OS X version of the 3DConnexion Drivers).

Previously I had been using a SpacePilot (which I fully get is NOT completely supported by the drivers) but the SpacePilot Pro is.

And FWIW, in order to get the 3D Connexion’s pref pane macros to work you need to have at least 1 of the 8 “slots” in the Rhino Prefs have something in it. Once you’ve done that all the rest of the macros for ALL of the buttons will work (again I need to screen cap a tut on this when I get time). For the most part it works flawlessly, just does the spinny beach ball of death when you try to quit.

Mark

Thanks Bill and Mark, you may have pointed us in the right direction.

I am using a 3D Connexion driver I got from the 3d Connexion website about 4 weeks ago (June 1st-ish, 2015) when this MacBook was brand new.

After installing the 3D Connexion driver, I noticed it was automatically starting the 3d Connexion app that I never used, so I went to System Preferences > Login Items > 3dConnexionHelper and disabled to it.

I just had the following results from an experiment:

Power on.
Enable 3dConnexionHelper to start at login.
Shut down.

Power on.
Start Rhino.
Quit Rhinoceros works as expected.
Disable 3dConnexionHelper to start at login.
Shut down.

Power on.
Start Rhino.
Quit Rhinoceros works as expected.
Start Rhino.
Quit Rhinoceros fails and Force Quit is needed.
Enable 3dConnexionHelper to start at login.
Shut down.

Power on.
Start Rhino.
Quit Rhinoceros fails and Force Quit is needed.

No smoking gun, but it gives us a place to start looking.

By the way, the bug report for this problem is publicly available at http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/MR-2194

I solved by eliminating the driver 3D Connexion v10.2.2 and installing the previous
10.1.2. Slightly OT, I continue to have problems of freezing during the panning and zooming. Use Space Navigator and Wacom tablet.

I concur, the old driver does slow down and lock up over time, almost like a memory leak.

Freezing I have is with the driver v10.2.2 (the last) that with the previous one (see 10.1.2)

As many have noted, this is - indeed - a 3DConnexion driver issue. It looks like the 3DConnexion Helper forces users to upgrade their driver. We plan to release a fix for this issue (MR-2194) in an upcoming RhinoWIP and in the 5.1 Commercial update.

Glad to read this. I hope we can also understand the cause of the freezing problems during the use of the Space Navigator with Rhino and solve them.

This ought to be fixed the most recent 5.0.2 release.

Just finished testing, Rhino now exits correctly. The SpacePilot is a tad more responsive and doesn’t seem to become sluggish as it used too. Still having some fun assigning buttons, but a vast improvement, many thanks to all involved in the fix. The SpacePilot Pro IS my left hand…

Currently are no iMac for ten days (replacement display). I hope as soon as possible to resume my work and find Rhino and 3D connexion work well.

A post was split to a new topic: Can’t close any window, when opening Grasshopper