[BUG] Package Manager long opening times with local UNC Paths

In our office, we use UNC paths to point to yak packages saved on the company server. This leads to super long waiting times for the package manager to display available plugins:

Accessing these network drives in Explorer is instant. Any ideas on how to speed this up?

1 Like

Hi Mariusz -

Not at this point, no. We have this on the list as RH-67625 (not public) and attempts have been made to find out why this is slow but no solution was found so far. I’ve added this thread to the issue report.
-wim

Thanks @wim. Let me know if you need more information or any testing on our end.

2 Likes

Hi @wim, did you make any progress on this issue? It’s killing us internally, especially when users are on a VPN.

Alternatively, do you have other suggestions on how to distribute private Rhino/GH packages across an organization?

Hi Mariusz -
I’m told that the speed will depend on the number of packages that are available on the server. This is not only the number of different packages that are published, but also all previous versions of a given plug-in that are still available. The only solution for the time being is to try to limit this total number of packages.

CC: @fcegnam - not sure if the two of you have different servers or are using a common one.
-wim

Hi Wim,

ah, I’ve found the root cause. I suspect that the Package Manager searches for yak files in subfolders as well. We have a 30GB+ dataset with thousands of files located under the same directory and it was bringing the PM to a crawl:

Moving all yak files to a separate location fixes this.

Thanks for looking into it!

PS @fcegnam uses the same server.

2 Likes

Hi @wim,

yes, I was getting the same problem as @mrhe with the path, but he is a genius and he already fixed it.