BUG - Extrude Component - Surface Input Error

Hello,

After the “lightweight extrusions” update to the Extrude Component per WIP 8.0.23277.12305 the extrude component no longer accepts surfaces as a valid input and throws an error saying “1. Cannot extrude Surface geometry.”

Model Space (Curve & Surface):

Graph Space:

Component Error:

1. Cannot extrude Surface geometry.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open New Rhino & Grasshopper File
  2. Reference or create surface in GH
  3. Connect Surface To Extrude Component

20230817_Extrude_Surface_Bug_Report_01a.gh (9.9 KB)

EDIT: Bumping to @brian , @wim , @AndyPayne , @kike

Hi @michaelvollrath,

As always, thanks for reporting!
This will be fixed next RC of Rhino.

2 Likes

Thanks @kike , much appreciated!

Is this fixed yet? I have the same issue on Rhino 8 SR3 2023-12-12 (Rhino 8, 8.3.23346.14001

I have not seeing this error since Kike reported it being fixed.

Perhaps something is unique with your geometry that I can’t reproduce on my end?

It’s far from unique, I extruded a triangle onto a point and then try to extrude those faces outwards. All native GH.

What I found out which is super strange is that it works fine with Normal vectors from deconstructing a plane, but does not work with mesh normal vector… even though they appear to be identical. Also constructed lines with those vectors and they move just fine.

Here the def.

bug extrude.gh (24.9 KB)

I can’t locate the part of that Grasshopper definition in the .gh file that you posted… This is how that looks here, though:

-wim

This on my end.
I guess Rhino works differently on every PC :man_shrugging:

I’m on (8.4.23355.18001, 2023-12-21) and it’s likely you are not? :man_shrugging:

I specified here what version I am using. I don’t know what is up with the tone Wim.

There are multiple threads about this:

Instead of blaming the user for not updating every single day why not fix your buggy software?

1 Like

I believe I fixed this bug just this week. The fix should be included in the next public service release. I think Wim was just showing that in one of the newer builds that the issue you reported had been fixed. I think he only meant to encourage you to test out the newer build when it becomes available as we’re hopeful that this issue has been resolved.

2 Likes