Bug? ExtractRenderMesh from Linked Blocks

Rhino 6 and WIP : Looks like ExtractRenderMesh from block instances that are Linked results in all extracted meshes placed on current layer and losing all material information even if original block objects had them “ByObject” and Layer Style of Linked Blocks is set to Active. Is that a bug or a limitation? Logically these properties should be retained. Once the block is switched to Embed, all works fine…

–jarek

Hi Jarek - thanks, I’ll take a look.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Any luck with reproducing this on your end?
I can confirm it still persists in the latest WIP and Rhino 6.
Once switched to embed or link+embed all works OK, but linked blocks still ExtractRenderMesh all into the current layer with material information lost. In our case it’s even hard to deal with this issue via script since many blocks are assemblies where the nested block components are linked but main blocks are not, so a quick detection and switch is troublesome…

thanks,

–jarek

Hi Jarek - I did reproduce this, it looks like I never made a YT item. I agree, at least for now, that I’d expect the properties to be retained.

RH-58295 ExtractRenderMesh on block instances

-Pascal

thanks Pascal, I made one correction there on YT since the resulting meshes should (and do - for normal blocks) end up on the layers of block definition objects (not block instance layer) - which is the expected behavior in order to retain all properties.

–jarek

I think that’s what I wrote… checking…

-Pascal

Yeah you are correct, i still keep forgetting the proper nomenclature of definition vs instance. thanks!

As long as we have straight one way or another…

-Pascal

1 Like

RH-58295 is fixed in the latest WIP