[BUG] custom rui file gets loaded incorrectly?

As mentioned in a previous post, I had to edit the .rui files manually to over an issue with saving them. But there was also a problem with loading them.

After manual editing, I no longer lost info, but it would doiuble one of my buttons even though it was not in the xml file. And very oddly I could correct this by changing the name of the .rui file and opening it under the new name. If I changed the name back and opened it again, it would add the extra button again. It was as though Rhino was remembering something from the old file name. This issue appears fixed by rebooting my PC (restarting Rhino was not sufficient).

I spent several hours trying to figure out why a button would get doubled. Not even sure what made me think to change the file name.

Not sure it’s a problem for anyone but me as I’m manually editing the rui files, but wanted to put it out there in case it was or could be helpful in any way.

Not all the information is stored in an .rui file. Thee is also some info stored in a separate settings file:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\8.0\settings\Scheme_Default\<rui filename_guid>.xml
Where rui filename_guid is the name of your .rui plus a unique GUID attached to the name.

It is possible that the settings file remembered the .rui file name so when you changed it back it put in the extra button again.

There are a lot of problems currently with saving .rui files. @stevebaer is actively working on them.

1 Like