BUG: Color picker Rhino 7

Hi -

Did you get this solved?
-wim

hi,
no it is still not working. It the color picker shows only gray, and some time some random colors, where i don’t know where they are coming from.
(now running on 7.1.20343.09492)

@wim Eyedropper doesnt work either. At least no how one would expect.

For example I may have set a custom color for a layer at some point. So now I have related layers that I wish to have the same color set for. You’d think I could click on the color swatch, click on the eyedropper, move the mouse over the layer panel to the layer in question and click on the color of the layer I wish to copy. However the eyedropper once clicked is utterly incompressible as to what exactly it’s stealing the pixels from. It shows a zoomed in view of something, but it does NOT correspond to where I think my cursor is, and in actuality I have NO clue what exactly it’s getting it’s big blown up pixels from. Can’t find any docs in the online help or command help that even touch on how to use the eyedropper, but it certainly doesn’t behave the way it does in pretty much any other application (including older versions of Rhino) does. It’s either broke, or has changed (and certainly not for the better, since 90% of the time when I do want to use it, it’s to grab a color I’ve already assigned to something elsewhere.

im also having problems with the colour picker, in my case i cant get it to appear at all. I bought Rhino 7 in December, im sure it worked at first but it doesnt now. Ive tried resetting to defaults for everything, and have just installed 7.2. But its still not there.image If i right click on the layer colour box, then go set properties>colour, nothing happens.

Hi,

From your screenshot it looks like you are on Windows not Mac. Check for Windows updates and then check the update history log as well for any failures.

yes sorry should have said. New to all this

Hi Mark,
I am experiencing the same problem!
Please see this thread.
This has not been resolved yet, contacted McNell support already but no fix has been given yet. This is preventing me to upgrade to Rhino 7

I replied in your original thread.

have checked and everything up to date and no failures. Have installed from food4rhino their colour picker pending bug fix, but that doesnt work either!

good new i renamed the two .xml files as suggested on another thread and it works now. Thank you

Was this topic closed out? I could not find a solution that worked for me in this or the other thread for PC linked.

I’m on Mac and just set up a new machine. The color picker was working and I believe that this issue started for me after trying to add the Substance material loader. I have uninstalled and rebooted a couple of times and even delete rhino completely and reinstalled and the issue persists.

I can get the color picker to come up when I go to the layers bar at the top of the screen and hit edit layer. but if I try and use the layers panel or any of the properties window to get to the color picker it does not work. There are two screenshots showing how this works. This is not functioning as needed but at least I have a work around.

The biggest issue for me right now is that I have no way to edit colors when working with materials to set up renders. I tried lots of things but no matter how I try to edit my material colors I cannot get any color wheel to pop up for materials. I have tried the properties panel & popup dialog box to no avaial.

Machine specs

(image hidden - don’t post serial numbers)

Hi Jessey -
Please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here.
-wim

Rhino 7 SR16 2022-3-8 (Rhino 7, 7.16.22067.13002, Git hash:master @ aa7902c94c5aa33511e60d30f82b636be43bc85f)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-03-08
License details: Cloud Zoo

Apple macOS Version 12.3 (Build 21E230) (Physical RAM: 64Gb)
Rhino is running in Rosetta2 on Apple Silicon
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookPro18,2
Language: en-US (MacOS default)

Apple M1 Max (OpenGL ver:4.1 Metal - 76.3)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Apple
Render version: 4.1
Shading Language: 4.10
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: n/a
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 48 GB
Graphics: Apple M1 Max
Displays: Unknown (255dpi 2x)

Graphics processors
Apple M1 Max
Color LCD (1728 x 1117 @ 120.00Hz)

USB devices
SanDisk: Extreme Pro 55AF
Beats Electronics: Powerbeats Pro Case

Bluetooth devices
None

Third party kernel extensions
None

Third party plugins
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCloudKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCore.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreData.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreGraphics.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreLocation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDarwin.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDispatch.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftIOKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftObjectiveC.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftXPC.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftos.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswift_Concurrency.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAppKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreImage.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftMetal.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftQuartzCore.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCryptoTokenKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAccelerate.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftContacts.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreAudio.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreML.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreMedia.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftOSLog.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftVision.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftsimd.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftNetwork.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDemangle.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftFileProvider.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftIntents.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftPrivate_BiomePubSub.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftPrivate_BiomeStreams.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftUniformTypeIdentifiers.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAVFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreMIDI.dylib
/usr/lib/log/liblog_network.dylib

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.16.22067.13002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 7.16.22067.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.16.22067.13002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 7.16.22067.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools” 7.16.22067.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.16.22067.13002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 7.16.22067.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.16.22067.13002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 7.16.22067.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.16.22067.13002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.16.22067.13002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render” 7.16.22067.1002

@wim any thoughts here? I tried to find the directory for the start up xml folder to try the fix from the thread above and can not find them. It seems that lots of files are hidden in Mac OS Monterey. Any help is appreciated.

Hey @Jessey_s_Zepeda, I was just notified of this issue and will look into it. I’ve created RH-68104 which you can follow to see the progress.

One thing you can try in the meantime is the following:

1. Quit Rhino
  2. Open Finder
  3. Select Go > Go to Folder
  4. Paste “/Users/curtis/Library/Preferences/com.mcneel.rhinoceros.7.plist” into the text field and press enter
  5. Make a backup of the file somewhere, then delete it.
  6. Re-launch Rhino to see if it fixes the issue

You can also do this from Terminal, but it wipes out all your existing preferences:

defaults delete com.mcneel.rhinoceros.7

Let me know if that helps!

That did not do it either still acting the same.

Hey @Jessey_s_Zepeda,

Sorry that didn’t work, it must be something different going on vs. above issues. I’ve come up with a few steps you can do so I can figure out where the problem is:

1. Quit Rhinoceros
  2. Open Terminal.app then paste the following and press enter:
    defaults write com.mcneel.rhinoceros.7 DebugLog -bool true

3. Run Rhino and attempt to click to change the color (it will still not work, but it will log the problem)
  4. Next, paste the following into Terminal and press enter:
    log show --last 1h --predicate 'subsystem CONTAINS[c] "rhinoceros" && category MATCHES[c] "debug"' --style compact &> ~/Desktop/RhinoDebugLog.txt

5. Finally, paste the following command to disable debug logging again:
    defaults write com.mcneel.rhinoceros.7 DebugLog -bool false

6. Upload the RhinoDebugLog.txt file that should now be on your desktop.

Thanks!
Curtis.

Thanks for this Curtis. I apologize it has been busy and thankfully this issue has not been debilitating to the point I had to solve it.

I hope this helps us get to the bottom of this.

RhinoDebugLog.txt (35.0 KB)

Hey @Jessey_s_Zepeda,

Looks like it’s having an issue using the monospace font, which is mapped to “Courier New” on Mac. Have you perhaps removed or disabled this font on your system? You can open the Font Book and search for that font to see if it has an “Off” next to it.

I did not remove the font but there were a lot of fonts that did not ship on this new machine. I didn’t even have Arial on it when I received it, I went to my old machine which I still have and added courier new and BOOM :sparkler: the color picker is working again.

Thanks for your help with this!

Jessey Zepeda
jesseyzepeda.com
503-704-0811

2 Likes