Bridge Command

I’m trying to follow along with Brian James/ tutorial on building a fork in SubD. I can’t seem to get past the initial Bridge command connecting the tines. The software selects the edges of the surfaces fine, but then does nothing when I click Enter.

Is there a step I’m missing here?

Thanks,
Michael Deimen

@BrianJ - can you assist?

-Pascal

Is there anyone out there that can help with this?

Hi Michael - is it this bit?

One thing that is not very clear in that part is that for Bridge, you select one set of edges, enter and then select another set - so you cannot see it but there is an Enter pressed between the two edges that are bridged.

-Pascal

OK, thanks, I’ll give it a try in the morning.

Hi Pascal,

Yes, that was the issue. You might want to send a note to Brian to update that section of the demo.

Thanks,

mD

Hi Pascal,

Yup, that was it. Thanks for following up.

Best,

mD

I tried the Ctrl/Shift while rotating technique that Brian recommends but never got it to “snap into an ortho view” as he indicates will happen when you get close to the view orientation. Is there another trick I’ve missed here?

Hi Michael - can you give me an approximate time marker in the clip?

-Pascal

Pascal,

It was at 4:20. I also noticed that when he thickened the fork at 4:00 the tips of the tines seemed to go to perfect three dimensional points. It wasn’t clear to me how that happened.

Thanks for the help,

mD

image001.jpg

Yeah… if you ctrl-shift right click and drag an oblique view, when you get near a plan view of the cplane, it should snap to that ortho view.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Yup, that’s what I’ve been doing. It never seems to snap into place.

Best,

mD

you can prepick edges, then run the bridge command as well, but they have to match… ie. 1,1 2,2 etc…

so to do that, ctrl+shift pick two disjoint edges, run bridge ( I have it on a hot key) , hit enter.

1 Like

아휴 답답해 ㅠ,ㅠ;;;

Hi Kyle,

Pascal’s approach seemed to fix the problem for me, but thanks for following up.

Best,

mD

it’s usually wise to do whatever pascal says… :wink:

I’m just a chirping cricket compared to his google like knowledge base.

2 Likes

Hi Pascal,

Could we talk over the phone? I am so frustrated. Now nothing is working as in the demo. I was having trouble with scaling the handle so I went back several steps to start over. Now all I can do is bridge the tines and extrude them back. When I try to scale the area behind the tines, (2:18), it scales all of the tines instead of just the edge/transition area.

The reason I backed up was that when I thickened the plane to make a solid, I did not get soft edges as Brian’s demo shows. I also can no longer recreate the dishing step, (4:55). It now bends the entire fork rather than just rotating the selected points.

Below is a picture of the first fork I created from the side view. You’ll notice that the ends are quite square. This was done using the SubD surface command and then offset solid just as Brian indicates around 3:55. You’ll notice that there are no soft edges and neither end comes to a point or radius as Brian’s model seems to.

When I try to scale the handle to thicken it, I get the following…

1 Like

Hi Pascal,

I think I got most of it sorted out. Not sure why but when I offset the surface to thicken, it did it with creased edges. I had to go in and manually remove the creases. Still not sure why the view is not auto-snapping in and out of the nearest projected view.

Thanks for the help. Hope you had a good holiday.

Best,

mD

nice shape!

Hi Michael,

Check that SoftTransform isn’t enabled if you see scaling impacting more than the area of sub-objects selected. Run SoftTransform with nothing selected to check if it is enabled as the state persists.

It is true that OffsetSubD will crease the edges and you need to run RemoveCrease to soften them.

To snap to an ortho view in Perspective start rotating the view and then while still rotating it, press ctrl+shift (cmd+shift on Mac) and you’ll snap to the closest ortho.

Can you post a link to the video you were following please, I think I’ve made a few using a fork as a subject and I want to be sure I know which one you were trying to follow.