BrendaEM's Cycles Rerender Extravaganza!

Hi. I don’t usually spend a lot of time setting up renders, but since the inclusion of Cycles, I thought I would dust off some of my drawings, and give it a go. Some of these are just shapes that I thought were interesting. There may be a few stragglers coming.

All of these images were originally rendered at 4K, and uploaded at 2800 x 1620 at high settings. The only image that had any color-correction on is the manta-ray one.

[I am sorry about the copyright labels, but I have had some unpleasantness.]

Radial Bearing Race. The environment does a lot of work of showing metal. My metal materials are around 128 brightness.

Blobs! This was a fun 5-minute thing

Part of a vehicle body with accurate NACA Duct

Control Box for my CNC project.

Bike Cargo Box with Light and Horn

Engine Cover Exercise, done in Ducatti Colors

Earthworm Hug

Plastic Enclosure

Glass Object

Filigree Speaker Grill. I 3D printed a few of these, but not with this verdigris finish.

Gyroscopic Forces

Horse Hitch

Small Engine Intake Manifold. Oddly the material has a bit of blue in it to simulate the mould-release compound.

Sci-Fi Pistol for Book Cover (6 Different Black Materials Used)

Fish Model for Animation. It was supposed to be cute. Background is U-shaped.

An Microcontroller MFD

Studio Monitor Protective Enclosure. No hinges in this drawing. (Video at End)

A Work-Up for a Brushless Motor. I am Very Pleased with Cycles

Mug from Local Coffee Shop, with Rooibos Tea. There should be a divit behind the handle.

Unlikely Paper Sculpture

Large 3D Printer Design

A Reflector. Because of time constraints, the choice was either smooth lighting or pretty transmissive patterns.

A Scroll Thing, Which Rendered Quite Well

A Simulator ACESII Replica. F16 Sim’mers have have made these around the world.

A tunneling microscope tip. Ground, colored glass-like material (Zerodur) was not an easy material to make. This is why your preview and your render must do the same thing.

A Halibrand/GT-40 Style Wheel. I wish I had come up with this. In real-life, they chopped an Europa Wheel, added to it, and chopped it, and added lips to it.

A Modular Model Airplane Wind Tunnel

An 3D-Printable (Thingiverse) ER-20 Collet Wrench

An Old-Fashioned Wrench for FEM Experimentation. For the ground part, bump mapping was used, and very little of it.

Recycled CNC Machine Rough Drawing. Finished Machine Youtube Video Below. Because the machine was mostly made from spare parts, I only drew what I needed. Oddly, when I was doing my machine, I wanted to do some of it improvisational. Still, I should have drawn out the bolt lengths because there were a few that were close. I included it because I was able to closely approximate the mill finish on the lower aluminum extrusions.

3D Printer Parts and Calibration Standards. Without the z-ribs 3D printed part materials aren’t easy to do

3D Printer XY Idler

Computer Fan Mount and Grill for Rackmount Case, which is used to Render its own image.

A cylinder generated in Grasshopper, from only a single point.

Rhino’s Tutorial Objects from Its Excellent Tutorials : )

The CNC Machine, Large 3D Project, Collet Wrench, and Studio Monitor Cozies are also on my video channel.

16 Likes

Thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Working to make sure it is a full Extravaganza, I added more renderings : )

1 Like

Brenda, nice stuff, really!
I have no idea how to get this cycles pluging, can you please help me?
Roberto

1 Like

Make sure you have Rhino 6. Cycles is integrated as the Raytraced viewport mode.

As Nathan wrote, you do need Rhino V6 for cycles, then you can use ViewCaptureToClipboard to save it.

Hi Nathan & Brenda, I do have Rhino 6, last release (it keeps updating itself), and I have cycles, here my options panel.
I’m not a Wiz, maybe, but my problem is to activate Cycles, make it work.

So I try render > current renderer > Rhino renderer
At this point Cycle should be running, am I correct?
I get a Rhino material and give it to my product, I tweak it a little bit maybe.
So the renderer viewport should give me some of the excellent results Brenda is getting, I assume.
It comes out pitch black.
Rendering is the usual slow and average low quality from rhino renderer.
What am I doing wrong? I need to work on shine metals, the worst you can imagine in rendering.
Thanks for your help

Hi @widgets,

In Rhino 6, Cycles is only used for the Raytraced viewports so you use it there, rather than from the Render command. It will replace the Rhino renderer in R7.

There are threads in the forum on how to get the best from Raytraced, including how to output the results.

Jeremy

Roberto, try switching a viewport to Raytraced view. It will start rendering the preview, and then try pasting this into the viewport:
ViewCaptureToClipboard

After it generates a preview, it should give you size options.

It appears to work for any view mode.

Thanks for your help, Jeremy. I’m getting the hang on Cycles now, and got the raytracing Viewport working. Don’t know why it was coming out pitch black.
Outputting the results from the viewport I’m fine, I already did some animations like that (pen + shadows = fast & beautiful).
Unfortunately I am working with killer materials, Steel, Brass … really hard to get them “as real as possible”. Flamingo was doing fine, even with those ugly shadows, but is unsuited to work with Bongo, I tried everything I could, and the Raytrace viewport is an option.

Thanks for your help, Brenda, now I am communicating with Cycles and the Raytraced viewport.
But you really did astounding quality in this way. I am talking about metals, I have to do Steel, Brass, Aluminum … The great quality you got with the ball bearing for instance, could send me closer to my solution. Was it a long or a reasonably short rendering? As I understood correctly, 5 minutes for a 2800x1620px is quite reasonable for me, as I need to work with smaller sizes but lot of them, and that would mean under a minute per picture, wow.
May I ask you the specs for that bearing steel material? That would send me on track for the others …
I can take no as an answer, I would understand :wink:

Metal is usually reflective, so having a good environment or things to be reflected makes it look like metal.

In Rhino V6, only global environments seem to work. I don’t recommend adding an environment to the materials but instead add it to the scene, or get one of these environments, such as a 2k sized one and drag it into the window.

The material started out as Rhino’s own Burnished Stainless Steel. The polish is 75%. The Brightness value is 190 of 255. I find exposures difficult if the brightness is on either end.

Generally I make nothing completely: white, black, shiny, polished, bumpmapped, or reflective.

2 Likes

Spot on, only Nasa manages to come close to 100% at either side of the scales :slight_smile:

1 Like

Brenda, thank you so much for your help, I will try agin the Raytrace as soon as I will be able to solve a few other problems. And your enviroment hint, may be what will make the difference in my case … shining metals.
And I am also taking a break from work, it was becoming too devastating. Too much work is not good for humans.

A air-cooled cylinder was added at the second from the bottom pic in the list.

I had a time to do some more Grasshopper stuff. The whole cylinder is generated from a single point. Grasshopper lets me set how many fines, the bore and stroke, the size of each head-stud hole, the sizes and whether or not there is a dowel tube.

Render-wise there’s a crosshatch pattern in the cylinder, applied as a diffuse color map, and slightly bump-mapped. I find that as long as they don’t fight as far as shading, adding a little texture adds a bit of details to the bumpmapped area.