Boolean Trouble

@jasongberger I found with system fonts it was not a tolerance issue nor a Rhino one for me.

It was simply that system fonts provide problematic curves from which to create geometry from. This thread looks at the creation of a font plugin that creates more CAD friendly curves. I do not know if it went anywhere.

If you want to continue to use system fonts then make sure that you run the what command on the curves even after rebuilding. If they are not closed that will be your first issue later down the path.

The second issue will be that a lot of those curves overlap themselves from my experience. This will give you all sorts of issues with boolean commands.

Regarding Rhinogold…no it also had issues because from memory it used curves from system fonts. So no it is not a solution IMO unless they have changed. I used to find a lot of the geometry that came out of Rhinogold problematic in general but especially when using their gem cutters and print supports.

Personally I find it easier to create curves from scratch and I do all my fonts in t-Splines. Avoids the next manufacturing/casting issue of those font extrusion having sharp edges and no gradient on the walls that cause investment breakage.

regards,
Sochin

1 Like