Boolean subtraction fails w/ drafted lettering

Rhino 7 has a command called _SelSelfIntersectingCrv which is useful in detecting problematic curves.

And there’s _IntersectSelf which for example shows a problem on this curve:

Zoomed in a lot:

Found the areas in a macro view but 10 zoom windows later wouldn’t reveal the issue. Maybe my graphics card doesn’t have the zoom power. Like I wrote, my electron microscope is out for repair and parts are held up in the “supply chain” LOL

Finding it interesting that boolean subtraction seems to work fine by creating solid letters in Rhino and then subtracting versus importing lettering, making solid and then subtracting and Rhino is apparently using the same font structure to make it’s solids as the outside app…Corel Draw/Inkscape etc. Is there some disconnect when the exports are executed in the outside app?

Fonts use Bezier curves to define the shapes. If you have converted Rhino text to curves you have splines. If you have imported a file into Rhino you will also have splines.
Splines and Bezier curves use different math and may display and behave differently between application using splines (most CAD apps) and those using bezier curves (Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Inkscape)

I don’t know if you can actually get a Bezier curve into Rhino without converting it to a spline.
I also don’t know if the conversion of Beziers to Splines from Rhino text to works differently than if the Bezier curves are converted on import from AI, PDF or SVG.
DXF format does not support Bezier curves so the conversion to splines will be done by the exporting application.

1 Like