Blocks Not Printing when Block Layer Print Width Set to "No Print"

I have encountered a bug with blocks sometimes not printing properly if the instance is on a layer with print width set to “No Print”. Rhino appears to be using the parent instance layer print width as the print width source for the block geometry even if the geometry print width source is “By Layer”.

I have been placing blocks on non-printing layers for months without problems. I just noticed this in new files today.

If the instance layer print width is changed to something other than “No Print”, then the block geometry prints just fine (using it’s own by-layer print width, color, etc.).

The problem sometimes goes away when an annotation object is added to the block, but only after the block is transformed in some way (move/scale/mirror/etc.). In some existing files, this fixes the bug, in some this doesn’t fix it, and in some the bug does not occur, but I can replicate both the bug and the fix in new files.

Steps to replicate bug:

1. Create new Rhino file
  2. Create a layer with non-white print color and non-zero print width
  3. Create a second layer with print width set to “No Print”
  4. Create some curves on the printing layer (all attributes “By Layer”)
  5. Create a block from the geometry and place the instance on the non-printing layer
  6. Go to print preview and observe that the block is not visible
  7. Edit the block and add a text object on the printing layer
  8. Go to print preview and observe that the block is still not visible
  9. Move the block
  10. Go to print preview and observe that the block is now visible
  11. Edit the block and remove the text object
  12. Go to print preview and observe that the block is still visible
  13. Move the block
  14. Go to print preview and observe that the block is no longer visible

Any ideas what could be causing this?

(Windows 10)
Version 5 SR14 64-bit
(5.14.522.8390, 5/22/2017)

It appears that in Rhino 6 the block geometry always uses the parent instance print width when it is “No Print” and always uses it’s own print width otherwise. I don’t know whether this has always been the case in Rhino 6. I would expect the block geometry to only care about the instance layer print width when the geometry print width source is set to “By Parent”.

Version 6
(6.1.18037.13441, 2/6/2018)

Hello - I’ll check this, thanks - meantime, it would not hurt to update to 6.3 (Help > Check for updates).

OK, I see this here as well, in the latest.
@Measure - fyi: https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-45941
Please let me know of that does not correspond with what you’re reporting…

-Pascal