Blocks disappearing, a bug?

Hello,
I think there must be a bug in Rhino. I have a (simple) drawing with several blocks inserted, plus a text with an automatic counting. When reopening the file some blocks just disappear… Take a look at the pictures:
A “fresh” drawing:

The same drawing saved and reopened:

Block are embedded and linked, but I don’t think it matters, as some of the same type are still there.

Cheers, Jaro

A small update: inserted blocks remain, copied ones - sometimes do not.
Cheers, Jaro

hi @jerry.bakowski pls post your _SystemInfo and an as simple as possible example that shows this behavior, thanks!

Hello @Gijs
The machine is not a particular performance demon, but the drawing is just a 2D entity… I am attaching the file.
As you can see at the pictures, there are several disobedient blocks :wink:

missing-blocks.3dm (310.5 KB)
Cheers, Jaro

Rhino 8 SR6 2024-4-10 (Rhino 8, 8.6.24101.05001, Git hash:master @ 32c244aa711e0034e75bec2e87d093c764820b96)
License type: Edukacyjna, build 2024-04-10
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19045 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 16GB)
.NET 7.0.0

Computer platform: DESKTOP 

Standard graphics configuration.
  Primary display and OpenGL: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 11-16-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 - Build 31.0.101.2115
    > Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
        - Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
  Safe mode: Off
  Use accelerated hardware modes: On
  Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
  Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU's maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
  Mip Map Filtering: Linear
  Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Intel
  Render version: 4.6
  Shading Language: 4.60 - Build 31.0.101.2115
  Driver Date: 11-16-2022
  Driver Version: 31.0.101.2115
  Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
  Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
  Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
  Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\VisualARQ.rhp	"VisualARQ"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\Tibidabo.rhp	"Tibidabo"	

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp	"Commands"	8.6.24101.5001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp	"WebBrowser"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp	"Renderer Development Kit"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp	"RhinoScript"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp	"Rhino Bonus Tools"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp	"AnimationTools"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp	"IdleProcessor"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp	"Rhino Render"	8.6.24101.5001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp	"Legacy Rhino Render"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp	"RDK_EtoUI"	8.6.24101.5001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\import_ACAD.rhp	"AutoCAD file import: import_ACAD"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp	"Snapshots"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\MeshCommands.rhp	"MeshCommands"	8.6.24101.5001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp	"IronPython"	8.6.24101.5001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp	"RhinoCycles"	8.6.24101.5001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp	"Grasshopper"	8.6.24101.5001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp	"Toolbars"	8.6.24101.5001
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp	"3Dconnexion 3D Mouse"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp	"Displacement"	
  C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\SectionTools.rhp	"SectionTools"	

hi @jerry.bakowski thanks for the file.

your objects are very very far from the world origin (about 8.8 kilometers). This is causing trouble. You will also see that object snap is not working well.
If you move the objects closer to the origin the issue will go away (and Osnap will work properly)

1 Like

Hello @Gijs
Thank you, I will move the drawings. It was the first time I used a georeferenced map as it is…
Though I think it’s not so far away, it’s just some half an hour with easy bicycling :wink:
Cheers, Jaro

1 Like

I’m having this exact same problem in one of my files and I’m drawing close to the world origin, so I don’t think that’s the issue. It feels like a bug since the disappearances seem random and not caused by any specific action.

Hi @lia.michelle.burton if you can share a file that shows that behavior, we can have a look at it.
Also run_SystemInfo in Rhino and post back the results, thanks.

I have had experience of GIS referenced files with the 0,0 origin up to 50Km from the model. These were from a professional architect. Also I have had to use local UK GIS data for a Planning Application drawings. Best practice is to move the origin or move the model depending on your software. In Rhino move model to origin.

Strange things happen when working far from the origin ie trimming corners failing etc. Note that there are papers from meetings of all the top architectural software companies which advise modelling close to the origin. You can always reference where the GIS data point is via text or coordinates in the model/drawing.

Added benefit is that model accuracy is higher closer to the origin.