Block Text Attributes: Instance specific properties

Thank you for adding the possibility to have differing attribute text values per block instance.

A very useful feature of attributes in AutoCAD is that they are essentially independent sub-objects with individual properties such as position, rotation, font etc… that can vary by block instance. For instance, a single block definition, consisting only of attributes, could be used for all sheets, regardless of the positions of the attributes on different sheets. Or the attribute could be used as a label for an object, but the position or rotation or even size of the text could vary in order to make it legible.

Though it’s probably too late to include something similar in the current iteration of Rhino, I’ll just include it here for consideration.

Thanks, Peter

Hi Peter - could you give a very specific example? It sounds like what you are describing already is possible in the WIP so I must be missing something…
-wim

Hi Wim,

thanks for the quick response. It may well be that it is in the WIP but I haven’t figured out how to do it.
For instance, I define a block with an attribute in a given position, let’s say upper left. Then I insert two instances and want to move one attribute text (relative to the block instance) to the lower left and rotate the text by 90°. Does that make sense?

Peter

Hi Peter -

I’m not sure.
Those two text strings are two instances of the same block definition.
But I’m not sure if that’s what you want. Could you post a file?
-wim

This is a video showing how this works in AutoCAD:

It shows a single block definition with two instances of the block. In each the ‘same’ attribute has a different location and rotation relative to the block.

Hi Peter - thanks for that video.
That is not possible in Rhino at this point, no. That requires a system that is similar to the AutoCAD dynamic block feature and we have that on our wish list.
Thanks,
-wim

Hi Wim,

yes, that’s what I thought, though this doesn’t need to be as complex as dynamic blocks, just sub-entities with limited independent properties.

Thanks, Peter