Block objects that contain block objects

Our custom ‘Urban Furniture’ items will be our product range, and as part of the blocks which will be saved as b2d & b3d files etc we have layers for various components.

So far, so good as we can still make use of the 2D and 3D switching within Lands, great.

Our models also include LINKED blocks of people on their own layer. Currently, we insert a Linked block into our projects and these blocks within blocks load fine and can be switched on and off using layers.
When I try this with them set up as Lands blocks however, these linked blocks inside the Lands blocks just do not import.

Is this something that is a known limitation, or am I missing something somewhere?

Lands object consists of a b2d, b3d, jpeg and txt file. Within the b3d model, there is an additional linked block, this is the one that doesnt import.

Image below shows the windows explorer browser and also the Lands window with the imported block missing the person.

An update:
If I Insert the block model into the project using the standard Rhino command and then use the Lands library method afterwards, the linked blocks within the block objects appear. It will also convert the previously inserted item into a Lands object.
It appears it only uses the linked blocks if they have already been added to the project.

If I do these two steps the other way around (Lands Urban Furniture block first), the linked blocks do not import and then when Inserting the same model using the Rhino standard command, I am asked to choose between updating the duplicated block or creating a copy (version 01). Neither of these options show the linked blocks within the inserted file.
It will generate the layer that the missing linked blocks are on, but not the objects themselves.

It appears it is possible to use the linked blocks within Urban Furniture items, but not by default.

Also, if using a non default template (not the Lands ones), the Rhino Insert and Lands Urban Furniture Insert of the SAME model come in at different scales one in meters, one in mm. All models (block and project) are set to mm.

Any update on this issue?
I have also noticed that when inserting an Urban Furniture item containing a linked block on its own layer, the layer name appears briefly in the layers list and then disappears.

Can you confirm that it it not possible to use linked blocks within models being used as urban furniture items?

Hi, sorry for the delay in the answer.

I’m doing some tests and I haven’t detected any problem during insertion through Lands commands. Nested blocks are there. What I see is that linked blocks are drawn when is Rhino who draws the block that contains them. If you use the same block in Lands Objects (for example as plant 3d display), then is Lands who draws the block, and it looks like it ignores any linked block contained in it.

However, since in Beta IX urban furniture blocks are standard Rhino blocks (not Lands Objects), drawn by Rhino, you should be able to see linked blocks. Are you using the Row object to insert them? Rows are Lands Objects (custom drawn objects).

Anyway, “linked and embed” blocks should work perfectly in Lands Objects, so I recommend you to use this option when you nest blocks, instead of “linked” only.

Hi Albert,
Thanks for getting back to me.
These are Rhino files set up using the Urban Furniture b3d/b2d file structure and as shown in the images above and inserted using the Urban Furniture library. When these models contain a linked block, these do not import, although the name of the layer that these linked blocks are contained on within the main block does appear for a split second in the layers panel before disappearing…
I have tried this with multiple files with no success…

Ok, I’ve tried setting the linked block in a different layer, but still I’m unable to reproduce the problem. There is a layer that appears and disappears during insertion, but this is related to an internal layer used by Lands (some sort as “By parent” layer).

If you send us (albert@asuni.com) a pair of 2d-3d blocks using nested blocks to test, I’ll take a look. But anyway, urban furniture implementation has largely changed in Release Candidate version. From RC on, urban furniture objects will be Lands Objects, like any other element in Lands. So, pure linked blocks will be unsupported. Is there a problem for you using “link and embed” blocks instead?

Hi Albert,
Thanks for this.
The ‘Embedded and Linked’ solution is what I was looking for. Up to now we just link blocks, but Linked and Embedded does indeed work.

Thanks for clarifying this.
Thanks,
Andrew