Block Instance remain duplicate after dup layer & contents then undo

Hi,
V5
I have BlockInstance of a wavy steel bar pattern on a layer. I wish to have them on this layer prior to my weld marks added with boolean difference and spheres.
So I duplicate that using layer and contents option and call it wave bar with weld marks.
I turn off the source layer and all waves are gone, it has duped the layer but not its contents.

I undo that incase I mischose the command and do it again, still its an empty layer !

Thus one cannot duplicate a layer and contents if contents are BlockInstances.

here we go, they are a nightmare.

I undo that command, BUT then I discover I have now duplicates on the source layer ! (slaps head emojee)

I have no more undoes, what was needed is done. yet now I have double the items on my original layer.

Aaaaaaagh !

So I select the block instance on the ‘wave no weld’ layer , clone it, create that new layer called for ‘wave for weld marks’, set that clone to it (r/c set object layer) , turn off the original layer and the clone also vanishes.
Turn back on, select the clone and its layer name at foot of screen says its on the layer ‘wave for weld marks’ I set it to, yet it turns off with the ‘wave no weld’ layer.
As such cloning a BlockInstance has no means of setting it onto another layer.

How does one make a second set of block instances on a separate layer to initial set ?
Why cannot one move them around on layers ?

Very limiting.

I like to have my steps in construction as layer steps should I need to try a variation on something.

I might need rivets for one set, and spot welds for another.

Steve

Hi Steve,

In your thinking, you need to distinguish between the block instance and the contents of the block. They each have their own layer associations.

When you create geometry you assign elements to layers. When you make a block from that geometry, each geometry element retains its layer association and, for embedded blocks at least, that is then set in stone.

At the same time as you make the block you are making the first instance of that block. that instance is associated with your current layer (but you can later change it if you need to). If you place further instances of the block, each is associated with the current layer at the time you place it.

If you turn off a layer, all the geometry contents of any block instances associated with that layer disappear while the layer is off. It makes no difference which layers the geometry elements are associated with.

If you turn off a layer, any geometry elements associated with that layer disappear while the layer is off. They disappear regardless of which layer the instance they belong to is associated with.

If you have a block instance on layer B and it has three geometry elements, one on layer A, one on layer B and one on layer C then the following happens:

• All layers on: all geometry shows.
  • Layer A off, B on C on: A geometry doesn’t show, B & C geometries show.
  • Layer B off, A & C in any state: Nothing shows (because the instance layer is off)
  • Layers A and C off, B on: A & C geometry off, B geometry on.

Remember also that:

• If you want to have a geometry element take on the colour of the layer its instance is associated with you have to set that geometry’s display colour to By Parent before you make it into an instance.
  • If you want the geometry to take on the colour of the layer on which it was created you have to set that geometry’s display colour to By Layer before you make it into an instance.
  • If you want the geometry to take on its own independent colour you have to set that colour before you make it into an instance.

Key takeaway from this: the colour of geometry associated with a block instance may not be an indicator of either the layer it is associated with or the layer associated with the instance.

HTH
Jeremy

Edit: I tend to create separate layers on which to draw geometry that i intend to make into a block. That way I avoid getting muddled about which layer a piece of block geometry is on, or about the effects of turning layers on or off.

HI,
Thanks for that,
I created a layer, called it ‘master for wave not block’, on it is my wavy bar able to be booleaned.
Not to be block, guard it with my life !
Duplicated that layer named it ‘WAVY BAR SOLID WELD SPOT - master for BlockInstance’ . and did my boolean on it
then made it a blockInstance, arrayed it, then discover that layer was not ticked. so the array is on another layer, turn that other layer off and the blocks vanish. However the layer named ‘WAVY BAR SOLID WELD SPOT - master for BlockInstance’ also makes the bars vanish, yet right click it select object and nothing selects.
It really is a can of worms. It has taken me hours getting nowhere, when up till then I was in top gear.

It is a terrible shame that we have to venture into Block territory , I cant understand how CAD cannot cope with duplicate items.

I will have to undo everything for a second time and start all over again, go very careful, make sure its the final colour I want, I wanted to apply texture later on,

• If you want to have a geometry element take on the colour of the layer its instance is associated with you have to set that geometry’s display colour to By Parent before you make it into an instance .
  • If you want the geometry to take on the colour of the layer on which it was created you have to set that geometry’s display colour to By Layer before you make it into an instance .
  • If you want the geometry to take on its own independent colour you have to set that colour before you make it into an instance .

Is not the first the same as the second ?

I want the third, but I am no where near having the final texture for it yet, applying textures and colours is something weeks away, yet Blocks you say need that doing right now ? I have no means of knowing what that is right now.

I hate them.

Steve