BlendSrf issue

In the attached file on the 03/07 WIP if i attempt to blendsrf between the trimmed edges of the two surfaces, the interface presents me with the bizarre situation where apparently every knot in the preview blend surface has been added as a control section. I can remove them, but it’s odd they show up in the first place. I tried a couple other example surfaces and they seemed to work normally.

blendsrf problem.3dm (167.1 KB)

I just checked the 03/14 WIP and it has the same problem.

That’s intentional. When the surfaces are compatible (same structure), the blend is made with a simple sweep (no interior double knots) and handles are made at each cv location.

Is it a problem for you or just not what you expected?

Well I guess in this particular situation it would be kind of a problem, there are a ton of handles to delete to begin the adjustment I actually wanted to do.

OK, I’ll see what I can figure out about why it works that way.
I don’t remember making that decision. Maybe @Pascal remembers something.
I think we can probably just remove that feature.

As I recall, and I may not, very well, the goal was to make simple blends where possible and I thought these extra handles had to be be there for that to happen, but I don’t know if that is true.

-Pascal

@Pascal - I agree about making simple blends when possible, but the handles don’t have to be made at every cv.

@lowell OK, good - I say let’s not have them by default then - There’s another post somewhere here, I think from @Phil_Cook, pointing out the same thing, I’ll see if I can find that one.

I guess maybe the reason for adding the handles was to allow adjustment without breaking the simpleness - adding handles, the user would have to find the right spot. It would be good if there was a snap or something to help locate these if the user does want to add handles- I’m not sure what the best way is. I think we were trying to avoid extra check boxes and so on in the dialog.

-Pascal

1 Like

Yes, I remember the part about trying to help get the handles on the edit points so the surface could stay simple with some interior adjustment now.
Adding handles snaps to those locations now and I don’t see a problem changing the command to not start with the interior handles.
I guess we’ll find out.

Well, I get that logic, but I would think unless the edges were very deliberately made–certainly not the case with anything trimmed–it seems unlikely that the desired adjustment points would coincide with the control points of the edges.

Jim

The interior handles are only made if the rails are compatible.
I’ve turned it off for this week though.