Bitmaps and attaching them to sufaces

I know about TestSuckTextureIntoBitmapTable and embedding bitmaps in the file rather than simply linking to them, but is there any way that you can tell, for a given surface, whether or not the bitmap is embedded?

Hi Matt - it’s a little clunky but you can use Audit3dmFile, and look in the bitmap table section in the report.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal. As you say, it’s a bit clunky, and it has the following failings:

The bitmap table reports that there are 61 bitmaps in the file I tried it on. It lists the first 7, then shows … , then shows the last one in the list.How do I get it to reveal the entire list? Also, it doesn’t appear to offer a way to identify the geometry that each bitmap is attached to.

Could calling Details/What for an item have this feature added? It’s frustrating at the moment as I’m copy/pasting a lot of images (pretty much the same as PictureFrame) from one file to another and I don’t know until I Paste whether the image will appear or not - pasting linked images doesn’t seem to work.

Editing/transforming surfaces (that have bitmaps attached) in any way other than Move also stops the bitmap appearing in Print output when set to vector. This and the above makes compiling 2D drawings a tedious & time consuming process full of pitfalls for the unwary.

Hi Matt - one thing you can do is set the file saving to save support files in the 3dm file - (DocumentProperties > Rendering page) If the images are on materials, they will be saved with the file - save the source file, and see if copying objects then brings the image more reliably.

-Pascal

I thought you had the solution there Pascal, but I’ve opened up my folders this morning to find that checking that box saves copies of the image files into the Windows folder with my models in :frowning:

I see Rhino also created an additional folder which it named “(file name) _ embedded _ files”. There were only a handful of jpegs in that folder. Rhino obviously knows which images are embedded and which are not, but it’s currently difficult to interrogate it to find out which are and which aren’t.

The images in question aren’t rendering textures. They are captures of label artwork as applied to train interiors and exteriors. I’m applying them to single surfaces in much the same way as PictureFrame does. The finished drawings are of a fairly typical technical illustration type.

Checking the ‘Save support files in 3dm file’ box definitely isn’t the answer. I’ve just copy/pasted some line work (note no bitmap textures were copied to the clipboard) and upon pasting into another Rhino file, all 60+ bitmaps in the first file appeared in the Windows folder where the two Rhino files are kept.