Big problems, empty files and crashes

I made a new render file (mesh file), from my NURBS-model. Added materials, groundplane etc. It crashed almost every time I tried to switch to “raytraced.” Sometimes it was crashing when changing material for an object - and finally I couldn’t even open it anymore. It crashes every time I try.

I sent the crash report to McNeel. When I tried to send the file a got a ‘server error.’ I have to try again later…

EDIT: File sent.

Philip

Do you also use linear lights?

Nope. I used only a HDR image (Studio E).

Philip

I had a new occasion with Rhino emptying a file today. This time it wasn’t related to rendering or materials. I have been working on a new model for some days. As always I export it as a V5 file before I close the (V6) file. When I opened the V6 file after a break it was empty. I’m not able to repeat it (seemed to be completely random). It has (so far) happened only once with this file.
I then opened my backup-V5-file and made that my new V6 file. I’ll send this file to McNeel.

Needless to say that this a bit scary… Latest WIP (6.15.19071.17016).

Philip

When you export to v5 do you also first manually save the v6 document?

How did you close the v6 document? Using the document titlebar icon? Or the File > Close menu? Or the shortcut key? Or just closing Rhino by its menu item? Or its shortcut key?

edit: too early sent, I had more questions:

• what are the options you export to v5 with? save small? save textures? save geometry only? save plug-in data?
  • do you save the file to some location that gets automatically synced to The Cloud? Or is it an external storage? Or a networked drive?

edit 2: more questions still

• did you have multiple documents open?

Hi Nathan

No. First exporting as V5 and then closing the V6 file.

Cmd + Q

Save small, save textures, save plugin data.

No, I don’t use (i)Cloud - or any other ‘cloud.’

Nope. Saving to the same folder on the machines hard drive as the V6 file.

No, never. Rhino (still) crashes with multiple documents open when navigating in either file - and both documents are very slow to navigate in. I can only have one document open if I don’t want crashes - and I don’t :wink: I only have two documents open when I want to copy-paste something from some file to the one I’m working in (and I always close the ‘extra’ file immediately after that).

With navigating I mean zooming and/or panning in the file - and then pressing and holding the “home” button (pressing the home button is what causes the sluggishness - and crashes).

Philip

So no saving of the v6 files if you had made any changes prior to exporting to v5?

A file with changes is always saved in the background whenever you have a pause (for about 20 seconds IIRC) - and when I close the file with Cmd + Q the save dialog always pops up: revert changes, cancel or save. I, of course, always select save, so the file is saved all right.

Philip

Ok thanks, that was the bit of info I was looking for. I’m trying to find the steps that reproduce on my machine he problem you see on yours.

Ok, thanks! :+1: You might have a hard time reproducing it, however - it doesn’t happen very often (thankfully)…

Philip

Well, I’m going to go through the motions regularly, lets hope I run into it sooner rather than later.

1 Like

@Philip, have you run into the case where you find the v6 file you saved opens up as a v5 file according Rhino WIP?

Yes! I forgot to mention that… Good catch! :+1:

Philip

The V6 opens as V5 is reported here: https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-51484

1 Like

@Philip from your files it looks like you use Box Edit (probably a lot). While testing if this could impact saving of the file (Box Edit adds document user strings) I ran into a performance problem:

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-51524

Do you see this same behavior too?

edit: I just heard from @andy that this is what you showed him already months ago, so I am going for “Yes”.

Adding this link to that report as well.

a colleague of mine has / had these problems while exporting to a 3D printer file format (STL).

The original file, which was saved at all times, was empty afterwards.

@msmr, thanks for the hint - I’ll try to see how this impacts.

So to write out in steps your collegue did:

1. open rhino file
  2. export as STL
  3. close Rhino or document?
  4. reopen Rhino document only to find it is empty

For step 3. did it matter if just the document was closed, or did your collegue close Rhino entirely?

Also, prior to exporting as STL were there any unsaved changes to the document?

edit: extra question. What kind of geometry and data is generally in the file? Usage of Box Edit? User strings on objects? Dimensions? Materials?

extra question 2: does your collegue routinely have more than one document open at the same time?

That sounds very strange as I really don’t use Box Edit at all! The only “box” thing I have used is Box Mapping (for the ‘boxy’ objects in those files).

Well no, not really - not using Box Edit… The only thing regarding performance problems are slow navigating in a file (and crashes), when I have two (or more) files open: Rhino V6 slows down with two or more files open This was one of the things I showed Andy (IIRC). This have been a big problem for months. As I mentioned it’s impossible to have more than one file open at the same time:

This is not, however, related to the empty files problem, is it… :thinking:

Philip

Your files contain Box Edit document user strings. Those get added only when you use Box Edit and change for instance the increments.

Hi Nathan
I also had saved files coming back empty, after exporting to OBJ
Perhaps similar to the STL thing mentioned above…?
thanks
Akash