Better rendering defaults in Rhino WIP

There is already glossy reflection (and refraction). It’s called “Polish” and/or “Clarity”

I think this is a current bug…@nathan?

Dammit… I had forgot about that as I use V5 for most of my work.
Can you PLEASE move reflection clarity up from advanced settings to underneath reflection? It is not an advanced setting when custom material is used. And I must admit that I don’t use the other materials as I find they all lack more advanced settings, so an advanced tap converting those settings to custom would be nice.

I’ll definitely play around with the material presets and I’ll give you a feedback on each if you like.

I haven’t kept the custom render settings much in sync the last few months as I’ve been working towards better materials. They’ll be fixed when I merge the GH iterations of materials.

1 Like

Good. And it seems like Raytraced mode is a bit too eager to calculate the next stage instead of the next frame when we manipulate the view. Can you see if letting it wait 0.01 seconds longer before refining might help orbiting large scenes?

Manipulating the view and having it constantly change between stage one and two is tiring for the eyes when I am trying to evaluate the output, so down the road I presume the right thing to do is measure the time it took to calculate stage one, and if high then add the wait. And if time to calculate is low then just skip the refresh and move on to stage two for all initial frames, but keep on measuring the time so it automatically adjusts on the fly.

I think I would prefer 10 fps with “higher resolution” over 30 fps with “lower resolution”, but that would need some testing I guess, and maybe an adjustable setting. (Keep in mind that Rhino 6 will probably be sold for 5 years so the hardware we’ll have by then might have 2, 3 or 4 times the processing power than today’s, so taking settings for that into account might be a good thing.)

This is indeed on the list (RH-34055), and I think the easiest solution is to show only when pass 2 gets rendered, but the problem is then that the progressive resolution won’t work nicely. This means that I probably will have to rig the progressive refine rendering such that it does always two samples on each resolution refine step.

Oh, I am sure you’ll work out a way to get the best result possible. Maybe buffer the image and merge pass 1 and 2 when it’s time to show pass 2. @andy added the ability to choose what pass to show in Neon. (Neon is super-responsive and the benchmark you should aim for imo)

I’ve done an ultra quick test:
Before reset:

Viewport resized - please notice change of colours (possibly a bug?):

After hitting reset:

There is a table in the cockpit which turned completely transparent from tinted glass.

Diana

Remember - we’re not trying to compete with VRay - Vray is an excellent renderer. They do a fantastic job (along with a bunch of other vendors) of providing comprehensive rendering tools for high-end users.

“Raytraced” display mode is much more pitched at novice users - we’re hoping to raise the rendering baseline by making it much easier for early stage users to get great results.

• Andy