Beta test RhinoPhysX?

(Crash)
When the second time in a row I run rpInitialize to change some parameters that I forgot to change the first time, then assign dynamic and rigid objects and then trying to simulate it does not start and than if I press the LMB it crash.
p.s. it seems to be associated with the run CPU simulation option.

Hi, here I made 1 working example (to start the simulation I pressed Esc key)

Another example with rigid dynamic and static objects (SubSteps parameter change was needed for the wall):

Example with rigid dynamic and static objects (Mass and Combine shapes parameters have been modified here):

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great!

Hi @Daniel is it possible to somehow regulate the weight of rigid dynamic objects?

Hi Violine,

I just released an update that lets you set the mass of the rigidbodies. Youā€™ll have to disable the existing plugin and reinstall this new one.

1 Like

Hi, I noticed the following:

Yeah, Iā€™ve noticed that denser/larger meshes tend to not work. The plugin just wont start the simulation when these objects are involved. I assume this is the issue youā€™re referring to.

On a side note, youā€™ll want to try using Triangle in situations like the second picture. Convex, while faster, is not going to give you the rolling-chute action you want.

Yep, Convex colliders are limited to 256 vertices. RhinoPhysics will generate a convex collider for you based on any input mesh, provided it has less than 256 vertices. I should probably mention that somewhere :smile:

Triangle meshes should work (but only for static objects), and for shapes with lots of disjoint parts, you can use the ā€œCombine Shapesā€ flag in rpRigidDynamic. Again, each part should have less than 256 verts.

If non-convex dynamic shapes are really needed, I might have to look in to a decomposition library or something. Using a really stiff cloth object could work as well (although collision is not handled as well).

Hi Bert, thanks for the advice but the problem remains the same, the simulation starts but I can see it with interruptions only when pan-rotate the view. [quote=ā€œdaniel, post:28, topic:5508ā€]
Triangle meshes should work (but only for static objects), and for shapes with lots of disjoint parts, you can use the ā€œCombine Shapesā€ flag in rpRigidDynamic. Again, each part should have less than 256 verts.
[/quote]

Thank you Daniel for clarification, is it possible for you to insert such an option(ā€œCombine Shapesā€) for RigidStatic objects?

Hi, found something interesting. Though there are 3016 vertices creating a surface in this way the simulation works:

Simulation:

The ReduceMesh command should work well to reduce the mesh size.

You can also use the Detailed Mesh control and simply use the Minimum Initial Grid Quad setting only to have a tight control over the number of faces created.

http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/meshfaq

Firstly, thanks for the great work Daniel (and thanks violine for the example videos!) I know this is an old threadā€¦but I have a few issues/questions about this great plugin:

1. Has anyone else had issues getting this to work with windows 10? I ran a few examples with windows 8 and everything worked great, but on windows 10, Rhino crashes (closes suddenly) whenever I enter ā€œrpSimulateā€, immediately after it returns ā€œinitializing countersā€. If it helps, ā€˜rpInitializeā€™ always returns ā€˜falseā€™ for current state/initialization when first entered, but returns true if entered a second time. Iā€™ve tried this on two separate windows 10 machines with no luck (both with nvidia graphics cards, one machine has an update from 8.1 install of windows 10, and the other has a clean install). Any thoughts on what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated!

2. (assuming I can get it to work againā€¦:slight_smile: Is there any way to move a reference plane with each object? Basically, Iā€™m wanting to drop a bunch of different objects, but in the end Iā€™d like to have a reference plane at the center of each object so that I can swap them out with other objects, etc. I thought I could maybe do this by having one triangular face on each object that is of a unique dimension, and then explode the mesh and find that triangle on each dropped objectā€¦but if there was an easier way to just get out the transformation matrix or reference plane of each object in a list (ideally for use in GH with the ā€œorientā€ component) this would make things a lot easierā€¦

What is the current status of RhinoPhysX?

Well, I havenā€™t touched the code in about a year, so I guess that makes it ā€œInactiveā€.

I ran into some serious performance issues with the Rhino5 display pipeline which I could not resolve. Perhaps things are different now.

Iā€™m considering making the project open source.

1 Like

Hope you continue work on the project. Can you post a link to the last version, Iā€™m getting crashes trying to drape cloth.

Thanks

PhysX does not work on my Rhino5, as it always crashes when I use the simulate command.

Any further developments?

What else do you modelers use for physics/cloth draping simulation?

Kangaroo Physics running through Grasshopper (you could also implement the core functionality through a RhinoPython script or by developing a plugin though).