Best ways to make polysurface with sharp edges?

Hi everyone!

I’m new here and on Rhino :slight_smile:

I’d really appreciate any advice on what’s the best way to model a polysurface with sharp edges, but rounded corners.
After filleting the extruded surface didn’t work, I tried sweep 1 rail and by doing it in sections I managed to get to this point… however I can’t do boolean union.

How to make a joint polysurface from here? And what’s the best way to model a shape like this other than sweep 1 rail?

Thank you so much!!
Georgina

Hi Georgina - I can’t tell if the parts are all the same - it looks like maybe not but in the simple case, this is what I would do:

-Pascal

2 Likes

Hi Pascal,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. Apologies for not sending an image from the top before, but what would you do if parts are not equal?
I also tried your version with polar array but I can’t make the parts match perfectly like you did, so still can’t do boolean union - how do you do that?

Thank you again,
Georgina

Hi Georgina - in my example,l the trim leaves open edges so Join is what you’d use, not BooleanUnion (see Help on these commands - they are related, but not the same)
Please post what you have - I’ll take a look.

-Pascal

1 Like

If I get this right you are trying to Sweep1 circle and have the sweeps come to a point.

If that be the case, you either need to have the sweep paths cross and go far enough past each other to come to a point (at right) OR you can place the cross section on the INSIDE of the sweep path rather than the center (at center) (probably the better solution)

1 Like

Wow this worked! :smiley:
Thank you so much Pascal and Miano, saw your answers and tried the second suggestion and finally worked!