Best way to arrange an equally spaced set of circles along a curve?

Hi, one strange thing, spacing is not centres to circles, its between nearest edges of circles, so entering 25mm for centres gave me 32mm centres when measuredafter array created, 7mm dia heads thus need 18 entering for spacing of 25mm centres !

Steve

Steve- go to Item – Custom Size menu. Set it to 0 so item size ( x dimension) is not taken into account when spacing items. that should space them with exact center to center distance.

will do, rhino for array command remembers last used settings, this command forgets 18mm spacing, ran it as if a rhino command and it shortened it to 13.

is there a way of using previous numbers entered ?

Steve

Hi and help, its worked fine on the vertical ribs, circles hugging surface. Now I have oriented to surface a circle for start of the fore/aft stringers, yet arrayCrvPLUS makes the array not hug the surface, despite my selecting surface at the surface prompt. they are sticking out almost perp to surface.
I see no other means of telling it to make circle orient /hug the surface.

arrayCrvOnSrf is doing the same.

tried drawing a new circle at line start, then orientOnSrf, looks good, then run ArrayCrvPLUS, select surface then they are all sticking outwards like coins half buried in a clay fuselage !

Steve

Steve - your Item circle should be flat on WorldXY. Z axis will be pependicular to surface. See my previous post.

j

with ArrayCrv they hang slightly on one side, but trimming holes into the surface still would work as i have tried and showed above so it should work for whatever you may need it.

regarding ArrayCrvOnSrf unfortunately guessing is required, but it puts them therefor centered tangential on the surface, it seems at least in this matter better as ArrayCrv why ever, even though trimming looks the same on both. the rest of the circles, just dont get produced which should not be any problem so pick a number high enough and it should be ok.

another alternative for a fixed amount without guessing but a little more fiddle but a proper tangential array therefor is to use flow. just type length click on the curve of your surface it will read out its length and then produce a straight line equal to its value. then use ArrayCrv on this straight line to produce your exact amount of equal distributed circles and use flow on the surface curve after that. the straight line now serves as a base curve. set flow to rigid and done.

Hi,
using a circle that lies in the XY plane is now doing it for me.
How do I make an array of e.g. 12 circles sit equidistant between two points on my curve ?

Also is there a way of revisiting the result and sliding the array along a bit on the curve ?

To have a means of simply making 12 rivet circles 35mm apart and then attaching to curve and sliding along until happy with location, any ideas on that ?

Cheers RichardZ …noted as well.

Steve

this would probably be best achieved with grasshopper. (but i don’t think you use that so…)

another thing that may not be of too much help is to use the Divide command… it’s just a lot faster of a way to place points along a curve based on length between points or equally dividing by X amt of segments… once you’re satisfied with point placement, you can then use one of the various array methods using the numbers you’ve figured with Divide.

SubCrv may also come in handy here (though you’ll be creating additional curves that need managed)

ArrayCrvPlus: use Spacing=Fit option with the count=12 and then from Path menu use Adjust Ends.

ArrayCrvPlus: set your count and spacing as needed, and as above, use Adjust Ends to slide the starting point. You can adjust back and forth until you hit Create. After you exit the command, there is no way to keep adjusting it.

hth,

–jarek