Best techique to replicate this type of complex surface

Hello, I am trying to model an object which is very similar to this image, my background is in architecture and this isn’t a type of shape I would deal with normally

I haven’t been able to replicate it. I’ve tried using network surface, patch, loft and drape, without success, the complicated part IMO is that the lines end in a very sharp edge almost comparable to a tent or tensile structure (objects pushing through a textile or flexible material) very organic.

BTW: I was thinking in trying with kangaroo but I would like to have complete control over the way the shape is modeled and not use parametrics for this, don’t know if it would even work.

Mesh.3dm (435.4 KB)
19 Likes

just …Wow

@Mahdiyar Yes…well done.

If you want to make it with NURBS surfaces, this seems to be the easiest way to arrange the surfaces. Basically you just make 1/4 of the model and copy the rest 3 sides with the “Rotate” tool. Make sure to build surfaces #1 first and make them 4-sided. Later on you can split the outside surface #1 to build the ridge between both #1 surfaces with “Blend surface” or “Sweep 2 rails”.

4 Likes

One more method with Nurbs

2 Likes

Not ideal, but could be still used for hobby CNC-milling from wood. All the used lines and cutting surfaces are hidden.

Wooden model.3dm (6.3 MB)

4 Likes

Or if NURBS are needed, a V7 sub-d approach much similar to @Mahdiyar’s excellent solution. Subdivide the sub-d further for more control of the tips of the ridges. The sub-d can then be converted to nurbs with ToNURBS (attached screen grab).

HTH, Jakob
3 Likes

Control Point editing via The ‘Organic’ toolbar can produce a similar shape, though with perhaps too subtle transitions.

Organic.3dm (561.0 KB)

2 Likes

I am gonna try all those ideas!

@Mahdiyar and @Normand I think you have the best solutions, looks like turning to meshes is the easiest way around this problem

@vikthor and @Rhino_Bulgaria those were mighty ideas as well, but I feel that any workflow that uses classic nurbs commands doesn’t end up giving the same level of blend or smoothness that working with meshes seems to get you apparently.

wow those are some great techniques!

I didn’t expect so many replies this fast, thanks to evreyone who posted for the ideas!!
@Mahdiyar @Normand @Rhino_Bulgaria @vikthor @SEANT

Also thanks to @DiegoKrause and @Fred_C for your comments in the end they all help bring people into the post

1 Like

I thought WOW! … But someone already said it. Wauw?