Best practices for managing File size

Visualarq is great but the performance of it is not good enough even for descent machine as I have AMD ryzen 5800H processor and Rtx 3070 and it became difficult to work with large projects, So could you explain how can I manage my file well without burning my Laptop, or visualarq isn’t usable for Big projects ?

1 Like

Hi @huss191998,

How big is your project? Could you send it to us, just in case there is a different problem with it?

@huss191998

I generally try to keep my models not much larger than 200mb as my desktop machine (which is about 4-5 years old) starts to bog down a bit. There have been a couple times where I’ve ended up saving out everything into a new model and dramatically reduced the file size

Some tips that seem to work for me:

• Use blocks as much as makes sense.

• Since the visualarq geometry are blocks, they can seem to build up in the block manager. It’s a good idea to regularly purge the model of unused blocks. When you do, you should purge it a couple times so that the nested blocks are also removed. You can sometimes get a serious reduction in the file size that way.

• PlanViews and SectionViews (the non-live model views which you can export as dwg) can get really heavy. So it’s good to limit the number of those cuts as much as you can in the BIM model. That may even mean inserting and embedding the model into a different file to make those cuts or deleting them after you are done with them.

• Model level of detail can make a big difference. At one point I was using bar joists as a kind of grasshopper beam style. They were accurate for rendering purposes to the point of having filets on the steel angles and such. Those joists doubled the size of my model. Simplifying the level of detail made a huge difference.

• Linework details and such. I’d do them in a separate file and link/reference them in to your BIM model.

• Attaching walls to slabs can slow the process because of the amount of recalculating everything has to do. If it is possible to assign the height of the wall directly rather than making it live attached to the top or bottom of another geometry that will speed up your file.

All that being said, I think there is a limit to the efficiency of the rhino/visualarq workflow on a project size. It works great on small projects. My visualarq projects are typically in the range of 10-30 sheets. But if there are hundreds of sheets for a big project you are probably more ideally suited to port the model into a separate software to do the construction documents and more detailed elements.

4 Likes

Thanks a million.
I wasn’t organised enough before and now when I faced the Big academic Project and My site after modelling with a little bit of details was about 400 meg so I had to learn how to manage my work better :grin:
Thanks again for your explanation :pray:

1 Like

@huss191998 I’d just add some more comments here:

General Rhino tips to reduce file size or improve performance:

• TestPurgeBitmapTable: this command purges unused materials and may reduce the file size considerably if you had many of them.
  • Hide objects (layers) that you don’t need to see when working
  • Avoid working with several visible viewports.
  • Avoid using display modes with shadows if you experience slow performance.

VisualARQ tips:

• VisualARQ relies on Rhino capabilities to handle large project files. The system requirements are the same as those for Rhino. (Rhino - System Requirements)
  • Working with VisualARQ objects instead of Rhino geometry may affect the file size but in a range not higher than 15%. (Take into account that VisualARQ objects store more data than Rhino objects and have some associations with other objects that increases a bit the file size)
1 Like