"Best" polyline from curve

so to clarify your question, something like this is the overall process? (im seeing it more as a landscape now than a human figure)

1. point spacing not equal
  2. point distribution driven by curvature
  3. equal number of points on each row
  4. no abrupt changes between rows

v2.gh (165.1 KB)

You got it! And you don’t have to assume the curves are closed.

hmm i think 2 and 3 can contradict each other though. Is constant number of points more important than curvature adaptivity? if not, is this branching condition allowed?

Although the averaging method I used above looks OK, I thought maybe I was losing too much information by assigning all the parameters the same weight, so I added an exponential smoothing piece to @RadovanG’s component, with a damping parameter between one and zero. One gives the arithmetic mean and zero gives a totally unaveraged solution. It’s nice to play with, but when you do, it’s clear that anything other than the straight mean gives way to a lot of variation. I also increased the complexity of my surface to better reflect what I’ve got in mind and assumed a symmetrical shape.

best polyline continued.gh (18.1 KB)

Branching is forbidden!!

is this similar to your idea?

This method adds points when necessary, so the actual number is unknown until the end. It looks like you can tweak the total number by adjusting a tolerance, but that will only work for a particular curve. I guess you can do that for every curve in turn, so they all end up with the same number of points, which is the goal, but that’s beyond my skillset.

1 Like