Best Options for Editing Meshes

Hi folks.

I’ve got a potential job coming up and the models they’ve sent me to work with have crazy amounts of polygons. I haven’t had much of a change to work with meshes in Rhino before, so:

1. What’s the best method to turn this into surfaces if I need to edit it.
  2. What’s a good setting/number of polygons to reduce the mesh.

I’ve included a couple of screenshots of as much as I can share of this.
Along with a polygon count of each part.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi -

If you need to edit this, I’d look at QuadRemesh and make a SubD object out of it with as few faces as possible.
-wim

Cheers.

Is it mostly a matter of trial and error to get the shape as close as possible, or is there a guide to how much you can reduce the mesh?

What about any recommended Quadremesh/SubD settings? I haven’t had much chance to do more than play around wiith SubD a very little, so not super flash on the settings needed for that.

Hi -
You basically have two opposing goals: fidelity to the original and editability.
The balance point will depend on the specifics of this project, and that is something that only you can decide.

It’s also possible that you’d be better off working on this mesh in a different application that is more geared to sculpting with meshes.
-wim

Thanks for that.
I’ve been using a combination of reducing the Mesh and Quad remesh to reproduce the geometry so I can trim and add in my parts.

I have been having a few issues though, and I’m not sure if they’re Rhino related or hardware related.

The main thing is; I’ve been having random ‘freezes’ where Rhino will say something along the lines of “there’s lots of triangles here and it will exceed your system ram and could crash”. Which is fine. I’d expect that. But then it either
A: takes a few minutes (5-10) and works fine, or
B: ‘freezes’ in that it seems to be working, but I’m pretty sure it’s not doing anything. Also, according to task manager it’s not using any more RAM than normal and that’s for any time it works or fails.

Image below shows my RAM usage during one of these.

And on one of the models it’s ‘freezing’ during a ‘join’ operation of a polysurface. I have gotten it to work this morning but it took over 5 minutes.

Screenshots of Join

What does Rhino typically max out for these kind of processes? CPU or RAM? And where’s the best place to start to troubleshoot this?

System Information

Rhino 7 SR24 2022-11-4 (Rhino 7, 7.24.22308.15001, Git hash:master @ cb2ad12922ceb989b185972675bb705a00abb97d)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-11-04
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10 (10.0.19045 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 12-5-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 527.56
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #2

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-5-2022
Driver Version: 31.0.15.2756
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\export_ACAD.rhp “AutoCAD file export : export_ACAD”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.24.22308.15001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

shrinkwrap in the v8 wip may be useful here to get a reasonable sized mesh as well. give it a shot and see if it helps here.