Best desktop for Rhino 5/Rhino Gold?

Hello,
I am currently in the process of buying a new desktop computer and it’s main use will be for Rhino 5 and RhinoGold. I just wanted to see what computers are working well for people, what to stay away from, and what everyone recommends. I appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.

1 Like

As I do not buy off the shelf computers and have always had a custom computer built. I would say a lot depends on what your willing to spend.

I had a computer built specifically for graphics use and the top of my list was Rhino5 64bit and Brazil. This said the computer I received is absolutely amazing, I did the Holomark 2 test on it the other day and if you go to this link you will see my results which are pretty amazing. Holomark 2 Released!

My computer was somewhat expensive (a bit over 2,000.00) but as I use this machine all of the time for my graphics work I feel it was money well spent. The company I purchased my custom built machine is Puget systems http://www.pugetsystems.com/ do a search for their graphics machines. The people at this company are as wonderful as the people at Mcneel so I recommend if you want a hot rod machine to check this company out, they will gladly discuss what you want on the phone.

All my best … Danny

1 Like

My advice for a start is like lopacki said, look into the holomark2 thread and look for the guys with really high score, and ask away, or just look, what equipment they use…
Of course, that’s just one aspect, another depends probably on what you do most in Rhino. If you do large files, numberchrunchers in cpu and gpu are important, and much ram and vram too. The higher a cpu runs in speed, the better.
More than 4 threads seems not of much use for Rhino alone. Correct me someone, if not
The quality of rendering is another thing, how antialiasing comes out for Nvidia and amd cards was another topic here, which isn’t made out yet, or is it. Don’t buy an expensive Pro-card, if you want to use Rhino without other pro 3d software.

Danny, please, don’t take this wrong, but you seem to have a misunderstanding about this test. It is the higher the score, the better is the result… Your link points to a result of 30000, is that right? There are machines listed in this thread, that are with the gpu results 4 times as fast as yours.

All the best, and a happy new year!

steff

Steff,
Thank you for pointing this out seems like I was not paying enough attention looking more at speed than score.The machine I bought so far has been a real workhorse for my needs.

Thank you again

All my best … Danny

Oh, if it does for you what it should, that’s great!
Happy working;-)

steff