Best approach to finish off gap that filletEdge makes here?

Hi
V5
trying to make a pair of 3mm webs.

used filletEdge 3mm to create a web but I am struggling on knowing best way to complete this.

Should I delete the last portion and use patch ? I tried that but cannot get the semi circle top to fit perfect.
Maybe just not getting the right combination of values, bit like safe cracking !

Unable to use ShowEdge during adjustment of U and V. only afterwards, doesnt help.

I can fill the triangle gap with surface from 2 3 or 4 edge curves command but blending it into the adjoining surface FilletEdge made I am struggling with, I am unable to select the two surfaces edges,

Its an experience thing this and such surfaces from FilletEdge etc I have not dabbled with yet.

I have spent two hours fiddling and reading level2 on this.

Patch looks promising on the orange curves which are DupEdge of the main fillet, smaller parts turned off in a layer. up now at 50 50 , how far should one go with values ?

Why is it that Trim and Join YES doesn’t see the fillet web joined to the solid but a naked edge there, naked edges on all edges of fillet in fact.

Anyone able to make this work ?
Creating3mmRadWeb.3dm (598.4 KB)

Steve

It’s better to create fillets that flow and don’t terminate abruptly. It makes for better / stronger parts that are easier to manufacture.

1 Like

Steve, it is difficult to understand the geometry from the screenshots you posted.

Hi,
I hope this explains it better,.

were you able to see the screen shots big on screen ?

OOOPS I FORGOT TO UPLOAD THE FILE…it would explain all just seeing it…maybe…
now attached…sorry !

Orange scribbles of what profiles would be like , I havent done the bit along the longer L junction. the bit I kept as fillet did a good job there, though it didnt trim.

see the item I have to make, see the ‘web’ where upright joins the end plate, like the web between your fingers.

It is flat sided at the outside and makes a sort of butress between upright and plate, so no chance of cracks forming there.

Dont know how else to explain this. Thought the story board and the final patch at 1 50 50 1 showed it, as that is almost job done, its what I need, but still get naked edges. why when trim is ‘on’ ?

I cant alter it to suit what would be easier to make, its that shape and I need to make it. If it terminates abruptly its how it is and was. it fits into a slight recess so must not bulge beyond the planar edge of the item.

Just need help in patching the area between the orange lines, unless there is a better way to make this ?

was patch the right way to go, deleting the bits that fillet failed on ?
Creating3mmRadWeb.3dm (598.4 KB)
Steve

Today’s lunchtime challenge… The surfaces you have join cleanly if you do a bit of rebuilding.

I exploded the polysurface, created some construction geometry with DupEdge and used these new curves to split the various adjoining surfaces, then rejoin into the polysurface.

Creating3mmRadWeb(BM).3dm (570.1 KB)

I’m lazy. I just let the fillets do all the work. First off why the hell is this simple solid oriented off axis to the construction planes?

Creating3mmRadWeb-the right way.3dm (1.1 MB)

1 Like

Hi,
BrianM
As such then what I had created was ‘good to go’ if it was trimmed and joined.
My use of 1 50 50 1 in patch was the correct approach and ok then ? it made for a very busy corner web.
I understood the fillet command when set to trim etc should join things. Did it fail because it failed to fill that triangle area as seen in my images ?
Is the need to create cutting items, from results of filletEdge, then trim out surfaces and join a common thing to do ?

Stratosfear,
Thanks, very different approach, and a slight deviation in that we have a rad edge to the base plate, without method indicated, I have carefully tried to follow your thinking and each step of the progression and see you decided to remove my 1mm rad tips, and 0.5mm rad edge to vertical item. gives us phase 2

you then gave tips 1mm filletEdge then 3mm filletEdge to the L seam, boolean Unioned the rivets in, then tall vertical edge 0.5mm filletEdge, this now matches phase 3

Then I try for 0.5mm FilletEdge as shown in my storyboard image png, I get a new item occur on default layer sticking out,

try again this time just on base plate, same strange thing occurs.

How do I get from phase 3 to final stage phase 4 ?

It was off axis by the way because it was ‘on axis’ to a custom Cplane then copy pasted out to a new file tp upload here and such actions do not carry with them the cplane, I have found. I wish such actions did.

3dm attached.
Creating3mmRadWeb-the right way SussSteps.3dm (1.5 MB)

Steve

This is not a progression example. I thought that would be obvious. If you want to replicate the one with the full fillet edge. Do the 3mm fillet first then a .5mm full wrap fillet use the Chain edges option. Then a .25 mm fillet along both the sides.

1 Like

As long as your geometry is properly setup, there is no reason why FilletEdge won’t work, as Stratosfear has shown. The key is to create your fillets in order of descending size. The problem was created in the first place by you filleting the vertical edge first. Since that fillet was very small, and the fillet at the base was much bigger, you got the issue you are having. FWIW Stratosfear’s example looks far closer to the actual object than what you’ve done with patch, and like I said before, patch is the command of the damned…

And just curious - how on earth are you making this curve? Why is it so over-defined? And wavy? Why not just use BlendCrv and make something simple and smooth?

Aside from all the modelling issues, I’m wondering what material the original part was made of and how it was produced. If metal, it looks like it is machined from one solid block but that seems unlikely. Or does the big fillet represent a weld between two flat pieces?