Bending parts of a Mesh independently

is there a better way to Bend part of a Mesh other than to use Pull-Point? in the attached definition and this image (below) the 4 corners of a Mesh Surface are able to Bend (actually rotate around independent axis) independently of each other. I am just wondering if this is the simplest way to achieve Bending in a Mesh Surface.

thank you for any information!

rbt_h0l-6.1-CSo1a-survey2.gh (34.9 KB)

1 Like

Do you want to bend these parts keeping them flat?
I see you have it set up for simulation of a tensile mesh, so I’m confused about the intent.

I found the Bend component worked nicely with a mesh (see the link @Joseph_Oster posted above)

You have to create the arcs to define the bend and do them one at a time so you would need 4 arcs and 4 Bend components to bend all of the flaps on your part.

Not sure if it will do a sharp crease but if you want a sharp crease then you can remesh and define creases and then maybe you just need to rotate the mesh points around the bend axes.

@Joseph_Oster, thank you for sharing your method of using the Bend function, its always interesting to see other ways to use Bend

however I am just curious if Meshes (as opposed to Surfaces) don’t Bend and that is why it is prudent to use the Pull-Point function

@DanielPiker, the tensile Mesh in the definition I sent attaches to Kangaroo so it looks more like this:
i was trying to keep my question simple: namely can one use the Bend function with a Mesh or do Mesh objects not work with Bend and so is it best to create this bending action in Meshes with something like a Pull-Point? if the latter do you have another way, besides Pull-Point to bend a Mesh?

Thank you everyone it is really helpful!

Aileen

In my experience the Bend function was much quicker with a mesh. In the discussion that @Joseph_Oster linked to, I first tried with a Dutface / Brep and by the 3rd bend it was taking several minutes to calculate.

It looks to me like this will be much more simply approached by forgetting about the ‘bend deform’ morph component and simply rotating the target positions of the anchor points on the boundary.

You don’t need to worry about bending the mesh itself before the simulation- the boundaries will move to these new rotated positions as soon as it starts simulating, and the rest of the mesh will follow.

1 Like

hi Daniel,

thank you for getting back to me, i have just a few things:

1. when you refer to ‘simply rotating the target positions of the anchor points on the boundary’, isn’t this what i am doing in this grasshopper definition or if not do you have a link or image of the grasshopper definition you have in mind?

this is all part of a PhD research in which I am comparing physical modeling to digital in terms of material behaviors of both and would like to ask you just a few questions about the ‘material behaviors’ of Meshes vs. Surfaces:

A. is it safe to say that Meshes cannot fold as you would a piece of paper or a Surface because Meshes have an internal structure of vertices which need to be ‘pulled’ along with the folding action - this is as opposed to a Surface which can fold quite easily using a simple rotate along axis script?

B. it appears that Surfaces cannot be simultaneously folded and radiused but rather if one wanted to fold a Surface and have that fold be radiused what I have found as a work around is to first fold the Surface, then radius 2 of its external segments, then loft this to the width of the Surface, see attached script.
rbt_h0l-fold-radius-sweep.gh (22.7 KB)

• or do you know of/ is it possible in Grasshopper to simultaneously fold and radius a Surface at the location of the fold?
  • if not is this because of the internal structure of a Surface as UV Splines that somehow prevent this?

Lastly i feel my research, which uses Arduino micro sensors and Firefly as slider inputs to Grasshopper as an hybrid physical-digital architectural modeling interface would interest you - and if you have time i would welcome a short interview to get your opinion/ and understanding of the ‘material properties’ of Meshes and Surface. if you don’t have time i understand and hope you could just comment on the questions above.

Thank you for your assistance!
Sincerely
Aileen