Basic YouTrack tips

Continuing the discussion from Can you please add sun tools to the mac version?:

YouTrack is a beast…but a really good beast. A couple tips for using it:

1. Filter with #Unresolved. This will hide all the fixed issues…
    For example: project: MR release target: 5.2 #Unresolved

2. Filter with Subsystem: There’s a Subsystem called “Grasshopper,” which will list issues related to getting Grasshopper working on Rhino for Mac: project: MR subsystem: Grasshopper #Unresolved

We are trying to mark most - if not all - issues as Public. However, the default setting is Private with a double-lock. The reason for this is that some bugs have files attached to them that are submitted to us where we cannot share the file (because of IP or policy or just preference). There are a couple other types of issues that are Private: things like Licensing or Validation bugs, for example. Otherwise, we’re making an effort to have an open development process.

Another tip…
I really like YouTrack, but the context filter is the work of the devil. The context filter is the left-most drop-down next to the search field.

Here is my rule: DON’T use that filter

…but rather always specify the project in your query (like: project: MR or project: RH).

I hate the feature because it filters results when you are sent a link. For example, imagine you have your filter set to “Mac Rhino (MR)” and someone sends you a link like this:

Project: RH Subsystem: Grasshopper #Unresolved

(show me all the unresolved issues in Rhino for Windows in the Grasshopper subsystem)

you would see no issues even though there are many…this trips us up all the time. Keep your filter set to “Everything” and you’re all set.

1 Like

Going forward from version 6.0 onward, as far as YouTrack is concerned, we have unified the Rhino RH project. That means there is no longer a separate “Mac Rhino” (MR) project (though there may be a couple legacy issues still in the MR project for a couple more months).

The RH project now has a Platform field witht the following values:

• Windows
  • Mac
  • Both

To filter the Rhino RH project on Mac-only items you would use this query:
Project: RH Platform: Mac Release target: 6.0 #Unresolved
(In the Rhino project, show me all the Mac-only items that need to get done for 6.0 that are not done yet)

It feels a little weird writing this right now because we’ve yet to publish a RhinoWIP for V6 for Rhino for Mac, but - rest assured - we want to do this as soon as we can. I just want to make sure y’all know they are not going into a black hole. We have a plan…well, sort of :wink:

A big thanks to all those who submit bugs here and on YouTrack. We may not get to them as fast as we’d like, but we know how much time and energy it takes to just report a bug.

2 Likes