Basic tutorial for 3D mesh structures

this is a bonehead question but would appreciate any reference to basic tutorials on 2/3D mesh building

Def gonna have to be more specific, other than that here is this: https://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/6/help/en-us/seealso/sak_mesh.htm

I am trying to make a 3D mesh/matrix/box with strings hanging at even, 10 inch intervals in the x/y planes, where I can control the heights of the end of the strings in the z-plane using Grasshopper control sliders, if that makes sense. I thought I might need Kangaroo to do it.

FYI, I found a really good tutorial at Parametric House called Parametric Building nr 1299 which explains everything about dynamically controlled surfaces using graph mappers in Grasshopper. thanks for your feedback, though…

Ah how could I not have gotten

I am trying to make a 3D mesh/matrix/box with strings hanging at even, 10 inch intervals in the x/y planes, where I can control the heights of the end of the strings in the z-plane using Grasshopper control sliders, if that makes sense. I thought I might need Kangaroo to do it.

From

reference to basic tutorials on 2/3D mesh building

And to know the solution was surfaces when asking about meshes

dynamically controlled surfaces using graph mappers

This may help you in the future:

1 Like

Hi Michael,

thanks for the response, I am not sure ifI got your message straight; u r saying surfaces are the solution?

It can be done with either Nurbs surfaces or meshes. It all depends on your strategy and final goal!

A good rule of thumb in Grasshopper is probably to always start with less costly geometry (e.g. points, vectors, curves), if at all possible. More computational expensive geometry should ideally be introduced towards the end of your script.
Meshes generally require less resources to be displayed than surfaces, since they store less information (depending on their resolution). If you only have few geometries, the differences in performance between both are negligible though.

Your description is pretty vague, but since you cited the Parametric House example, I think that this might help:

The string lengths are simply defined by a curve attractor and the Nurbs boxes move with the changing strings. You can control the maximum and minimum string length, as well as the box size.

stringed_boxes_01.gh (20.0 KB)

Try to be more precise in the future. I hope this helps!

this is perfect, actually, thanks so much!

any idea of how to exchange the boxes in the matrix with crystal droplets? I have been trying to edit with the GH controls but no luck, thanks again for the help

Take your geometry, use vector 2 point, make vector from crystal to line end, move crystal by vector.

1 Like

thanks!