Bake DIR Curves?

Hey, I was wondering how one would do to “bake” the curves displayed in the DIR command for a mesh.

The issue is as follows, I wanted to measure the slope of a triangulated mesh and asked if someone could help me with a definition in grasshopper to achieve it.

I now want to corroborate such definition does what I want, that is, measure the angle of slope of each triangle.

The definition provided calculates the angle between a Unit Z vector and the normals of each face of the mesh. Im not sure that angle is the slope angle…

The definition: Slope_Angle.gh (10.1 KB)

To be clear, I wanted to corroborate the definition by measuring the slope of a triangle manually. Thats why I need to “bake” the curves displayed with the DIR command.

Hi @ShynnSup,

I don’t think there is a way to “bake” the Dir command arrows currently.
Try the attached script - it should add vector arrows to all mesh vertices in similar way the Dir command display does.

hth,

–jarek

DrawMeshVertexNormals.rvb (787 Bytes)

Thats exactly what I needed. Thank you Jarek,

Do you happen to know a way to DimAngle in 3d? Because the command does not seem to work with 3d curves.

For DimAngle, looks like you need to pick the lines in current construction plane.
So you can do it manually by using command _CPlane first 3Point and define the 3 points on 2 arrows you are trying to measure/dimension the angle between.

I wrote a quick script to to it automatically and dimension many pairs at once in 3D. Take a look and see if it does the job for you.

–jarek

DimAngle3D.rvb (807 Bytes)

Hey Jarek, thank you for taking the time, unfortunately it does not seem to be working for me. I tried doing it from front viewport too.

PD: How could I draw the normal to the face but in the centre of said face?

Shynn

I see, it does not work if the lines share the same start point. Try this version - it should work…
DimAngle3D.rvb (805 Bytes)

PS. Not sure if you can draw a curve normal to mesh face. In Line command, there is Normal option but may work only on surfaces, not meshes. So you’d need to create a surface from the 3 face vertices, or MeshToNurbs your entire mesh first.

Hth,

jarek

Thats perfect Jarek, I achieved all that I wanted to do. Thank you.