Background bitmap not working

Thank you so much I think it would be a nice enhancement to the picture command, really appreciate you replying. I recently rediscovered BBs and I really like their strengths. I’d hate to loose this functionality they offer.
RM

1 Like

I’m sorry to read that the incredibly useful BackgroundBitmap feature is no longer being supported. I was going to report the same issue with only seeing white boxes when placing a bitmap before I found this topi. I often find myself using when I’m starting work on a new 3D model. I use it in Rhino v4 (the latest I have) and have used it in v3. I will definitely be keeping my v4 copy of Rhino around if only so I can use BackgroundBitmap now and then. FYI, the problem with bitmap boxes appearing all white goes back to at least v6. I haven’t tried it in v5.

When starting one model I placed different background bitmap images on each of the top, front, and right views to create the initial references lines for making a model. I don’t want the bitmaps showing up in the Perspective view as they do with the Picture command.

If the feature is not supported it would be useful for the program to warn the user they are using a feature that is no longer supported. There are many ways to find out what is new in Rhino. Where do we find the page that says what features have been removed, are deprecated and will be removed later, or that are no longer supported?

I’m wondering what other useful features have been removed or are no longer supported. The issue with bitmaps has made me hesitate in taking advantage of the current reduction in the price of upgrading to finally upgrade my copy of Rhino from v4. I wonder what other surprises may be in store for me that may make me feel I wasted my money.

BTW, I tried the Picture command. Initial reaction is that I saw no command line options for aligning the bitmap, or adjusting its position or scaling. Most important thing is that the Picture box is also showing as just a white box. Something changed in how the code displays bitmaps/images between v4 and v6/v7.

@kevin10 - I don’t know what you’re talking about - background bitmaps work fine here in V7. Your ‘white boxes’ phenomenon is probably related to graphic card/driver problems with your system, not the BackgroundBitmap command itself. You might want to run the command SystemInfo in Rhino and copy/paste the results here.

This is because it’s simply a surface with an image on it. Once it’s placed, you can do anything with it that you can a normal Rhino object - Move, Scale, Rotate, even turn on control points and stretch (distort) it if you want.

Again, this is an indication that your system may not be up to spec for V7.

If this is how Kevin is testing, the setup is not something McNeel supports

Yeah, I read that one after I posted my response above.