Autosave or versions before having actually saved the file?

Trying to help out a hapless student here… and for my own knowledge…

As far as I can tell, there is no autosave or version created if the person hasn’t saved the file at least once (given it a name)… is that right? As usual, he didn’t save his work for like a half a day and battery went out… Couldn’t find any trace of a file…

Thanks, --Mitch

I believe you are right. It will not even give me the little drop down from Untitled.3dm until it is at least saved once. This is not something I have researched only my testing here a few minutes ago.
IHTH randy

(Marlin Prowell) #3

Yes, the unsaved file is getting autosaved by OS X. Rhino had a bug that would detect that an unsaved document existed, but it did not correctly recover this file. This will be fixed in the next WIP release.

In the mean time, try this. Look in [student’s home directory]/Library/Autosave Information. There should be one or more “Unsaved Rhinoceros Document” files, perhaps with a number suffix. Copy the newest one of these to the desktop and give it a 3dm extension. Try opening that file.

Awesome tip, Marlin! ~Dave

… a few years later…

Have another student with the same problem… Looked in the above directory and it is empty. Is the information above still current, or is there any other place an autosave might be for an unsaved file…

Thx, --Mitch

Hi Mitch,

if you just open rhino and do nothing, nothing is saved.

Once I create something in the file, then the autosave works. In the screenshot, I have not saved anything yet, just created a box.

Does this help?

«Randy

Yeah, that’s where I looked… Unfortunately, nothing in there. So I guess nothing was saved, don’t know why though.
Thx, --Mitch

generally, when reopening rhino when there’s an untitled autosave file available, you’ll be asked if you’d like to recover the file. if you decline, i think the file may go away.

do you know if the student was originally prompted to recover?

But if you close the file and don’t save, the autosave information is deleted. If it crashes it may be different. I never saved in my test from earlier and now the Autosave folder is empty. FWIW

No idea… Generally they are so panicked that they don’t remember either… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

right, if you don’t save when asked if you want to, the autosave version deletes… (you’ve told macOS you no longer want the file)

but if you crash, the autoSave version will remain in that location and you’ll be asked if you’d like to recover it upon relaunching… if you choose No then it deletes. (since again, you’ve told it you no longer want the file)

here’s how an unsaved .3dm works upon a Rhino crash:
(maybe view it on youtube if it’s not big enough here)