Autosave doesn't work

FWIW, since there won’t be any updates for RH5, you should check and make sure that it works for you in the RH6 WIP… Start a new thread in the Serengeti category if you are experiencing problems there.

This issue appears regularly here and in the AutoCAD forum. What’s interesting is that users are consistently under the impression that when AutoCAD closes the last autosave file should not be deleted, it should be saved. That would provide the kind of secondary back up that users seem to expect. I’m not sure why autosave doesn’t work that way.

That’s what we have the 3dmbak system for…

I have the same problem as Bathsheba, it seems to be still around.

I have noticed at least twice that after a Windows crash or forced reboot there is no Rhino backup whatsoever. Autosave is enabled and I have checked in the directory where it should save the file, with no result. it looks similar to the screenshots posted with previous autosaves found in there (the latest from around two weeks ago which makes sense, as I only have worked in one file since). There was no autosave dialogue open when starting rhino.

I’m on Rhino 6 Educational, Rhino 5 was previously installed.
Are there any updates on how to fix this issue? Or clues? is this due to insufficient memory (I often run a lot of stuff at the same time) or storage (drive is almost full). Any hints are greatly appreciated as it a bit tedious to redo work, of course. And, yes I know, one should always always save their file every now and then for exactly this reason, but sometimes you get carried away, no.

Have just read around in other threads and then checked my Recycle Bin. I found the autosave files there, including the one I was looking for (albeit after having rebuilt everything that was deleted … :man_facepalming:)
It makes sense that the files go to the bin after a successful save, but I don’t know why they did in this specific case as I had not successfully saved before rhino closed. Well anyway, next time I know.

Thanks to @Helvetosaur in this post I checked my bin, I think this was my first hint.