Automating V-Ray material conversion - ArchiCAD to Rhino workflow

Here is an archicad export that where I was getting material table errors

SCRIPT_TEST.3dm (8.9 MB)

I don’t get the error you described.
Furthermore there are just 6 materials in ActiveDoc.RenderMaterials in this model so 39 is definitely out of range.

For me the original script works fine and produces the following result:

To me RenderMaterial[39] name missing from document manifest. sounds more like Archicad produced broken 3dm file

Hi Nikolay, I tried using your script as this would be very useful but it hangs up saying it can’t find the module - rhVRay - any ideas?
TIA

Not sure which version you have, but at some point the file was named rhVray.py. So try lowercasing the “R” letter first.

The module is installed with V-Ray for Rhino. It resides in the installation directory:
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros
as well as in the Rhino scripts directory:
C:\Users\<user.name>\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\scripts

Typically Rhino is set to look for modules in the latter directory:

So unless you changed something on purpose it shall be working out of the box.

So.

1. Check the .py file is in either or both dirs
  2. Add the search path to Python options if it is missing
    -or-
    move the rhVRay.py file where your .py file is. That file is standalone, it does not have any additional dependencies, so that is safe

Try this script TIA

reassign materials.py (1.1 KB)

Is there any way to fix the broken export? Other than reporting it to Graphisoft I guess…

Is there any way to fix the broken export - I’m not sure it is broken at all. It was only a speculation.

With the file you sent me (SCRIPT_TEST.3dm) and the script above (reassign_materials.py) everything works flawlessly. I don’t get any errors nor warnings

Thanks Nikolay, putting the rhVRay in the same place got it to work, thank you again.

Thanks Benjamin, I had changed the letters.