Automatic Scale button

I have been thinking about automating the scaling process by creating a button that would scale an object for me. Would it be possible to have a button to scale an object to 1/4" or 1/8" automatically?

Hi Shaun -

Scaling is either a factor (i.e. no units) or from something to something. I don’t understand what you are trying to do…
-wim

Hi Shaun - a script could do that but there would be user input needed for the dirction the 1/4" should be measured in and from where the scaling should be based.

-Pascal

Are you talking about US architectural scales like 1/4"=1’ or 1/8"=1’?

yes, taking something from 1’ = 1’ to 1’ = 1/4" etc…

Yea I was thinking I would need to input at least the base point, Ill look more into making a script.
Thanks

Select an Object, click a command button that is the scale I want it to be (1/4", 1/8", etc.) , select base point, and click enter for the object to be scaled.

Hi Shaun - why do you want to do this?

-Pascal

I find myself scaling down objects for 3d printing often, and currently I am doing the line trick when scaling, and I think there must be a better way to do this.

You can input a scale factor / ratio directly when using the Scale command. 1/4" = 1’ is a ratio of 1/48 and the ratio can be entered as a fraction.

If you a scaling around the origin you can use the shortcut letter β€œo” for the basepoint in place of β€œ0,0,0”.

1 Like