Automatic plant calculation for landscape planting documentation

Hi all,
I am currently writing a scriptplant calculation script.gh (11.5 KB) in grasshopper to easily calculate plant numbers in a certain area when doing the planting documentation in Autocad. I used specific plant spacing distance as an input and transform it into density using this expression: Formula: 400mm spacing = 1/(0.4 x 0.4) = 6.25 per m2.

I imported the AutoCAD file which has a certain planting area to Rhino and uses the closed curve to generate area and then tagged them with plant numbers.

All you need to do is just choose a different plant and its planting spacing and the area curve, it will calculate how many plants are planted in this area and tag them.
However, I have to manually put the planting data in the value list so I can link the plant to its spacing, which I have them in my excel file. But I have to export it as a text and replace the space to “=” so it can fit the value list format. I wonder if someone can makes it easier.Maybe directly import excel file to grasshopper and generate a value list???!

plant calculation.3dm (2.1 MB)
plant list.txt (147 Bytes)
The Rhino file which cad imported here is below:

plant calculation.3dm (2.1 MB)

Also with the tagging: I know 3d tag command can change the tag font and scale, but I would like to generate from grasshopper a leader with plant name and number like the image above. Is that possible??

1 Like

Hi Aaron. As this was some time ago I hope you aren’t still hung up on this issue, but just in case you’re still working with these sort of problems I wanted to mention that our Plant Kit suite is specifically designed to deal with a lot of what you were running up against. Plant Kit links directly to your own personal plant database and then parses that data to massively speed up the process of creating a planting scheme.

PlantGif_V Small

It works by matching attributes from a data table to parameters you specify in the script in order to place the right plants in appropriate areas, and then to allow you to adjust those parameters to quickly iterate on that scheme.

For your purposes, this means that you won’t need to manually enter each plant into grasshopper itself (just link to your existing database) and each generated plant will automatically come in with the labeling data attached, meaning that all you would need to do is select the right display value (perhaps using List Item) and route that to a Tag component. Feel free to check out some demos or download the free version here:

Land Kit

00_BasicSetup.gh (24.1 KB)

PLNT101: Plant Kit Basics

Hi Chris,
That certainly looks amazing, great work, I will have a go on applying this plugin to my projects.
Thanks heaps