Audi a7 modeling tutorial in rhino7

This is great work! Thanks for sharing your approach to technical surfacing! I truly struggle with patch layout.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad you like it.
thank you .
I finished modeling the general shape two weeks ago. I donā€™t have enough time these days.
I plan to do the video editing, as soon as I have free time

1 Like

Door glass which rolls down should have a ā€œbarrel shapeā€. In other words it should be part of a body of revolution. That enables it to move up and down in tracks smoothly and keeps the seals tight against the glass when partially retracted.

When engineering a door from a styling surface determining the axis of the door glass is one of the first steps as it determines the retracted position of the glass inside the door. Sometimes iteration with the overall surface shape is needed.

2 Likes

The video you posted on filling that six sided hole was really excellent!

3 Likes

thanks david for the advice.
it is true that for the manufacture and operation of doors it is crucial to know these things ā€¦
my first intention in this tutorials is just to show how I model with rhino using single span patches

thank you .
glad you liked it.:slightly_smiling_face:
.I showed the situation of the six surfaces in the video, to prove that rhino is in the musure to make all the mixture of complex surfaces.
however, there is a lack of automatic tools to model quickly

I think what that video shows is that to do stuff like that right, it takes much more time, patience and skill than people think. The solution you created looks to be smoother than the vast majority of the ā€œbutton clickā€ solutions to six sided holes - and Iā€™m including VSRā€™s Multi Blend here!

1 Like

where is the video?

1 Like
7 Likes

you are absolutely right, it takes time and patience to learn how to solve problems manually.
I remember banging my head on the wall, because of certain situations where the solution seems impossible.
but little by little with practice, things became clearer.

manually adjusting remains an alternative solution.
and often a waste of time, even after learning it.

for example, manual adjustment needs some automated alignment commands, for control points. moveUVN can help, but not in all situations.

1 Like

Thanks for your valuable experience!Iā€™m also a car surface enthusiast.

2 Likes

Awesome techincal surfacing! Looking forward to your tutorial(s).

1 Like

Hi
I am resuming work on this tutorial.
The videos have been stored on my computer for a long time.
I will share in the next few days the first parts of the tutorial,
I have already done the editing on a large part of the videos

screenshots where work has been stopped since my last post

7 Likes

Why do you need that ā€œcreaseā€ on the doors? It looks a bit too much and not as a creaseā€¦
More like a reinforcement ā€œpipeā€ or U-profile.

Iā€™m not sure I understand what you mean by the crease on the doors?

is that the one in the photo?

It is an artistic and top technical work.

Bravo!

But I see a hollow that seems a little discordance to me. Couldnā€™t you reduce its depth? I think it can make noise at high speed, or maybe Iā€™m wrong.

5fdd34720b599ccaf403ac37012f7d85f3ab55ea_2_690x331

Hi, Fares
No, it is the one below. I think it is not needed or should be less pronounced\protruding.

1 Like

Very well done! It will be interesting to see the final result. Proper NURBS surfacing takes a lot of time and patience, which is one of the reasons why many industrial designers often use ā€œbrute forceā€ with multi-span surfaces and other techniques that are not considered Class-A just to save time.

1 Like

both shapes are copied from the real carā€¦ maybe these shapes look weird in the screenshots. but they are present in the real car.
I donā€™t think I could make any changes to the model. The videos have been saved on my computer for a year. If I go back I have to redo a lot of things
in any case I will share the 3d model later so that everyone can have an idea.

true. nurbs patches are tricky, have to try different approaches before deciding which is the right one. but itā€™s still fun when you get used to it

2 Likes

What was the input data for the model? Overall dimensions and photos? Observation of an actual car? Or do you have scan data for the car?

What is the object of the model? Have it look like an Audi A7?