Attempting parametric "cropping" of multi part assy help

unhandled

(Jhawkins) #1

Main goal is to take an existing assy from solidworks, which imports just fine, and make it “custom” per customer requests, which would be adjusting it to a unique length assy. The assy is a wooden furniture piece. only being modified in the x direction.

I have created a gh file that takes a source brep and generates a slicing path for splitting and rejoins the parts cropped.
It currently is set up to cut at a fractional interval for its cut location to avoid any structural parts that may interfere.
So using box dim, I am able to measure the brep, which uses maths to find difference in the req’d custom length and stock length, then based of an input variable, locates a plane at 1/n of the parts x dim, and at the (n-1)/n location; (ie 1/4 and 3/4 location) for symmetric trimming. I also have an offset calculated in this to properly create the 2 cutouts accounting for the overal difference.

alongside this I am using the origin with a z- offset to source a bunch of ‘move’ features that generate a series of points that when connected with lines, are joined into a path. The path is extruded thru 1.25 x the model depth to ensure it full captures it.
then i did a solid diff i believe to trim finally, then dispatch to sort the entities and move the correct ones using the offset and math to join to the next.

This works fine for a solid body, but not yet for a assy.
The sorting is … always different, and this looks at each part on its own, not one grouped brep… which is my goal at the moment.

main question is how can I better control when something is split the sorting of the bodies, which seem to change?
what would be a better way to define a way things could be trimmed and rejoined?
and
is there a better way to ‘group’ an assy to have it behave as a solid single body for this?

CUSTOM LENGTH SLIT AND HEAL.gh (30.6 KB)

see attached gh file and brep file. should be clearly labeled enough to follow… let me know if you have questions.

Thanks!

brep test.3dm (60.6 KB)