Assembly / group naming retaining object info

You do need to run the block edit command. but it’s actually better (in my opinon) than autocad since the edit’s are done in-place so you can see the surrounding geometry. You can also use the block manager to rename blocks, select blocks, see which blocks are used by other blocks ect…

Okay, thats cool. The block, what information can you pull from the block - can you export to a csv the sub-assembly object names and so on for a BOM?

So the way I have it set up is like Pascal mentioned I use User Text to attach data to the specific object and then that geometry gets put into a block with the part number as the block name. Then blocks get nested together to for sub-assemblies. To export out a BOM I have written a script that exports out the information in a csv in the format we need. If you want to go that route I don’t think it would take much to tweek to the script.

Is there “intelligence” to script? (Sorry that’s a terrible term) by that I mean will the script pull info such as length and so on for say a cut list, or does it just pull user input text?

Cheers

The one I created does pull length, although it not too intelligent. The members in the blocks need to oriented along the x,y,z plane, It then looks for the longest side and calls that side length. Here is an example of what it produces.

That interesting. I’m assuming that the 1st col is part number, 2nd quantity, 3rd Material (user data), 4th Lenght based on longest side?

yep that is correct. We decided to name the part numbers based on profile designation and length.