Artifacting

I encounter artifacts in the rendering. Typically occurs with all types of lighting and only a specific set of materials or solids colors being used.

Just a quick image since I’m limited on time at the moment. I’ll have to dig through my archive to search for older renderings that presented the same problem and I’ll post those as well.

Looks like you need finer mesh settings.

I do not believe that is the issue. This is a fairly good mesh. I also maxed out the mesh and the issue persists. It must be related to “reflections” within the materials settings. In this specific model all my custom material works but this particular one. In a different model, every other custom material works fine.

This is just a test model. In more complex models the entire model is affected, which makes post-processing a pain eliminating each pixel or group while attempting to match the scene.

2021-09-30 02_05_22-Polygon Mesh Detailed Options

Artifacting, reflecting tiny speckles (pixelated) or granular circles

No flaws/issues - same exact material setting as above but different color

2021-09-30 00_43_13-Polygon Mesh Detailed Options

Artifacting, reflecting tiny speckles (pixelated) or granular circles

Did you try to disable the most parameters? So far I know you can set unused parameters 0. For example ratio 90 or 180 looks strange, it mean a edge ratio of 1:180 and this are long thin needles. A ratio of 1 would be better for a nice mesh since it mean 1:1. Or set it 0 and the parameter is deactivated.

Only the min initial grid quad parameters seems to be active for the meshing. Is this your goal?

You can check the polycount of the object per _PolygonCount. So far your artefacts follow the polygon mesh and the artifacts have the size of the polygons I would try to get a finer mesh. For example max angle (means max error between curved surface and poly mesh) of 3° should make the mesh more accurate.

1 Like

Yes. I tested with multiple settings. I even disabled all. The artifacts are displayed in the same exact location. If I turn reflections off they do not appear. Particularly in this file.

2021-10-01 03_41_24-Polygon Mesh Detailed Options

Older test renderings, not all are affected, not all materials display artifacts but the surrounding scene does. Affected scenes include solid or emissive materials.

2021-10-01 04_00_57-6480_SLD_ORANGE_MEDPLUS_NL01_NEW_BEAMS_00001.tga - XnView MP

2021-10-01 04_04_07-7488_SLD_BLU_BKT32_HIGH_NL001_00001.tga - XnView MP

Waiting for Chaos Group support to actually show they support their product. This is one reason I would never support Chaos Group poor support and poor values.

At your images it looks like some of your surrounding setups are to contrastful and the low polygon people strengthen artifacts. Did you try the option “max ray intensity”? Also I would check the setup and avoid the bright sources.

“contrastful”? please refrain from opinionated statements.

low poly? actually, these are high poly as with every other character I have submitted here. These ‘low poly people’ have produced identical results as above as with very basic low poly spheres. sheesh

I have adjusted the ‘max ray intensity’ for many tests and running another test today before flying out for other projects again. I’ve updated to the current version of vray, and as of the OP it was current. The aqua sphere above produced the same results as OP. I am running a new test for the latest scenes posted with Vray 52003.

avoid ‘bright’ sources? this also occurs in DARK sources and indirect and ambient lighting, even ZERO lighting. It is not a gpu/driver issue like some claim.

sometimes I wonder if you folks are intentionally annoying people and never read and investigate the issues. This goes in hand with some of your ‘senior’ members who have thrown tantrums and others defending their ignorant statements, you know who you are.

Hello- please note this is a Rhino forum and not a Chaos Group one - users here are helping on their own time and may or may not have English as their first language. I suggest posting to the Vray/Chaos group support forums for VRay specific issues.
https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us

-Pascal

Uploading your geometry would also help people help you. It is quite baffling you really think people can efficiently solve your problem without trying multiple things for themselves. This is a basic software support requirement… for a reason… It could have very well avoided your and others frustration… or you could keep extending this thread to infinity with every new reply being another tiny setting to change.

2 Likes

Let’s make it simple and you post a simplified scene. I suspect that something is wrong in the setup - V-Ray options or environment maps. It doesn’t help to reduce the contrast of the output, I suspect a problem with the light sources or HDRI maps.

Extremely bright polygons make me suspect that there is a bright light source or a high contrast reflection environment and/or that something is wrong with the polygons.

OK, I thought the unnaturally patchy floor was also one of the problems, but it just seems to match the set material.

Another cause of error in GPU mode could be an outdated driver or a bug. Upload a scene and we will see.

I have used the DeepL translator this time and hope to avoid language problems.