ArrayCrv not consistently spacing objects

I’m distributing point along a rectangle curve using the ArrayCrv command. The curve is perfectly flat and on the cPlane. When I distribute the points along the curve, the distance between then is different from what U specify in the command window. This happens regardless which “transform” option I select "e.g., freeform, road, etc.). And then sometimes it’ll work fine, consistently spacing points around the rectangle at the specified distance. Any idea what’s going on?

Here is a 3dm file illustrating the problem.
arrayCrv problem.3dm (48.3 KB)

This first image shows the command setup.

This second image shows the result. The grid circles are 17.5’ apart on the X and Y axes so the arrayed point should be equidistant from the grid circles around the curve as I specified a distance of 17.5’. For some reason, however, the distance between the distributed curves is around 18.6’.

This final image shows the outcome when the ArrayCrv command does what I expect, spacing the objects at a consistent 17.5’ from one another. As far as I can tell, there is no rhyme or reason as to why it works as expected sometimes and other times spaces the objects at a different distance than the one specified.

I guess you would need to post a file that illustrates the problem… If you are distributing points along a curve with an even distance, the Divide command might help.

Images uploaded to original post. Hope they help!

Hello - please just post a 3dm file with the inputs and incorrect output.

-Pascal

Done. Please see the original post.

Hello - there are 19 little squares, and 18 circles, around that perimeter… I guess that would do it…If I ArrayCrv at 18 and set the bae point to the center of the initial square it seems to work out as expected.

Blue is my arrayed object.

-Pascal

This is very odd. I’ve done as you suggest and specified the number of objects to array rather than their spacing, and for some reason it works. But when I specify the distance, it doesn’t. This, in spite of the fact that the number and distance values are the same regardless of which I specify (i.e., if I specify 18 object, the distance value updates to 17.5’; and if I specify the distance to be 17.5’, the count value updates to 18). There simply seems to be an issue with specifying the distance. Is this a bug?

Hello - yes, I see - this appears to be a bug - the count is 17 even though it says 18 when specifying the distance. Thanks for pointing this out.
I think the reason is this - if you specify distance it seems not to want to wrap the array around the seam point on the curve.
RH-64062 ArrayCrv: cannot wrap the array on the curve seam

-Pascal

1 Like

RH-64062 is fixed in the latest Rhino 7 Service Release Candidate

1 Like