Are all V5 .rvb and .py codes perfectly ok for V7?

Hi, V7
is there a list of codes not suitable for V7, created and coded for V5 ?

I dont want to find out where the mines are by by stamping my way across the minefield.

I want to be sure that my new install of V7 is rock stable, not upset it with codes designed for V5 that are not coded to suit V7.

How best to proceed please ?

Steve

This question would probably be more likely to be replied to if it were in the Scripting category.

moved.

Try them and find out is the best way to proceed.

You will not break R7.

I like to paste the code into the rhinoscript and python script editors and run them from there to get a feel for their usefulness, functionality and fix them if required (there are some minor tweaks to script functions between major releases, maybe there’s a list somewhere but the debugger will give vague guidance). Once happy that they work I save them to a network drive and setup aliases to refer to the scripts, but there’s other ways to get the functionality.

Have you read scripting 101? These are pure gold.

Hi Ncik,
I envy anyone who understand scripting, I just dont have the time.
I am many months if not years behind what I need to do and to set myself even further back by the amount of time it would take to get under the skin of scripting would make for an impossible climb.
I just want a button to work when I press it. I have actual creative work to do and to do all the research then not even part finish it would kill me mentally. Rhino is a tool , and its taken over and denied me the time I used to spend on what is a major goal of mine, and its soul destroying. The tail is wagging the dog.

I can spend a day strugglmg with codes and buttons as I just have, I have nothing to show for it at all, that day would solve the mess that I am in here.

I dont want to make my way across the minefield feeling with my foot. I must have V7 rock stable, before I back up the PC, else I have wasted an entire week in the win10 build if I have made it unstable in any way.
That will see a month wasted, solving Msoft nasties, from lack of Recent Places folder critical to workflow, and win10 removed it for folk, through Outlook13 not working in advanced find despite reindexing 40000 emails, to screen saver not working, to Rhino buttons not working, get one code line wrong and hours spent solving.

If someone could take the codes and make good for v7 that would save days of stress. In fact I may well give in and say sod it to buttons and tools I used to use.

This is going to take me an entire week and I have work to get back into, and 130 progs to install, at the mo its one prog every 3 days. xp to win7 took 3 months, crippled me, cannot come back from that.
Trying my best to get all these scripts running, and failing. perhaps stop trying to be clever and reference them, store them on C drive and run them from there. but if anyone of them is not fit for running in V5, will it mess up V7 ?

No one has vetted the scripts available to V5, and formed a healthy list. am I right ?

Steve

That seems like an unreasonable expectation. You want someone else to spend their time vetting 1000s of publicly available scripts, but you’re not willing to spend a day or two reading the 101s and learning some scripting skills?

Continuous learning is important in today’s technology age.

I was thinking along the lines of the development team checking V5 codes are compatible with V7 and not causing V7 internal gremlins if used.
I didnt see it that they wanted me to read all about coding before checking as part of the development process.
Whilst I honestly dont have time to get into all the 101 coding, maybe when I catch up and get ahead of my work I will do so, I dont want to mess up V7 before I even start using it, I do a PC backup as I install progs and they work, I just want to backup V7 whilst working and all settings are in place, all toolbar buttons for scripts are in place, where at the moment I cannot get V5 code to work in the buttons, two are already causing error messages.
If running a script does not cause gremlins thereafter to V7 if they dont work then I am ok with that.

I had one script in V5 that when ran caused odd behaviour thereafter to V5, so it can happen, I was told it cant upset Rhino but it did, and that has frightened me moving fwd.

I will be referencing scripts to play safe.

I may even save V7 as it is, then meddle with scripts, that way I can revert back to the healthy state.

Steve

@Steve1

You have 65 posts on the subject of your setting up V7 in the last two weeks with 20 of those in the last 24 hours… All basically asking the same sorts of questions, and most before even having really used it or tried to see if something works in V7 or not.

It’s simple: if you don’t try stuff and learn while trying (what does and does not work), you will always be in the situation of dependence on someone else (everyone else) to feed you the correct information. I’m not talking about actually coding scripts here, simply understanding how they can be set up and work in the Rhino environment. Otherwise it’s always going to be a black box and magic…

Computer programs and operating systems are a fast and ever changing environment - nothing is really “stable” for very long, everything evolves very quickly. Rhino V7 extremely stable - in terms of crash-proofness and reliability - but note we are already in service release 25… That means a new version with bug fixes and improvements has come out about every month since it was first released.

Since the last version of V5, the whole of V6’s 3 year life cycle plus two years of V7 have gone by; trying to catch up is now more like scaling a cliff rather than a gentle uphill slope. V8 will be here some time within the next year and it too will come with a huge amount of significant changes. Plus Windows is now on 11 whether one likes it or not… One has to adapt to the ‘stuff’ that gets constantly thrown at you, otherwise you simply end up buried under that pile of ‘stuff’. :poop:

What I’m trying to say is that you really have to jump in and try this stuff yourself. You will never get it set up “perfectly” in any case - perfection doesn’t exist - but by being static you reduce your chances of getting it set up “nicely”.

It is highly unlikely you will make Rhino unstable by installing scripts/toolbars, etc. You can certainly make mistakes and have things not work or not work as you want, but you can’t really break Rhino from the inside. So there’s no disaster waiting to happen.

I remember the conversation about this in the past, but the conclusion was absolutely that the script in question could not cause the symptoms you had. Nobody could repeat the problem.

V5 scripts may or may not work in V7 - most probably will, but as some of the scripting methods have changed over the last 5 years, there might be one or two things that don’t. Again, if they don’t work, they will just fail to run, and not do any harm to your install.

The methods for creating toolbar buttons or aliases in V7 and running scripts from them has not changed significantly since V5. All the stuff in the wiki article previously posted is still valid.

4 Likes