Appropriate placement of name tags on fabrication pieces

I am trying to write name tags on the nested geometry for waffle based fabrication. The name tags often get placed near the teeth. In ordert to tackle this issue, I used the ngon plugin to create mesh triangles of these pieces, and then place the name tag in the triangles with the maximum area.

This technique works to a certain extent but not always.

How can I resolve this issue?

I am using open nest to nest the geometry together on sheet.

WAFFLE_SEPT_20201_forum.gh (128.2 KB)

1 Like

You can divide the curve and get a point average, then move the centroid away from that average. I used the area to get a distance that works ok for both small and bigger parts.

WAFFLE_SEPT_20201_forum.gh (125.1 KB)

1 Like

Thanks a lot! Works amazing! I studied your script further. How do you decide that area should be the determining factor of movement of points?

Another query. How did you decide the domain of 1 to 2 in the remap numbers component.

Thanks for your reply. I noticed that without taking the area into the distance calculation, the tag position tended to be a little close to the outside edge on smaller surfaces so I just tried what happens :slight_smile:

1 to 2 is simply to control how much the area can affect the distance. It means move twice as much on the largest surface.

1 Like

Okay. Thanks!

1 Like