Applying material to SubD Subobjects (per face) Rhino 7

Trying to apply material per face on a simple subd object, and it just applies the material to the whole closed subd. It works just fine on simple solids, polysurfaces, etc as expected - am I missing something? I thought rhino 7 had per face materials supported for polysurfaces and Subd, a magical upgrade.

Or is it only per face color that works? I port out a lot of work from rhino into lumion so trying to figure out how I can use this for rendering to show material transitions and do quick iterations.

1 Like

Seems like extracting surfaces is the only way to apply the materials separately. Hoping i’m just missing a step here.

1 Like

Hello - currently, as far as I can see, per face material is not supported on SubD.

-Pascal

@pascal thank you for the quick reply. Is this on the list of things to add?

For quick iterations and visualizations this would be so helpful - I’m trying to make shapes like this reception desk but with glass as a part of it. I see that people are usually making overlapping objects but that’s not ideal when you are making objects that might need transparency.

I did a quick test here making insets and angles to add a glass “panel” and the only way I could get it is to extract the section. It essentially makes you “put pencils down” to apply materials.

it’s a requested feature… hopefully coming soon if technically possible.
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-56462

3 Likes

Thanks @theoutside. So many good improvements here!

1 Like

So we can add Perface material for SubD now?

not yet-

Sorry for the necropost - not sure if this is planned for v8 or not, but I just started playing with SubD (I think I just found my new time killer) and it would be amazing to be able to assign materials to subobjects.

1 Like

I was trying this same thing and thought it was possible, likely from a mis-remembered demo video.

You CAN select one face of a poly-surface and apply another / unique material. This is weird and ironic, because you use the SHIFT-CTRL sub-object selection from Sub-D … but you’re on a NURBS polysurface.

OK, here is the happy part. You can do this BUT ONLY IF you convert the Sub-D to a NURBS. Use the command ‘ToNurbs’ and it will work. Just make sure you are done editing the Sub-D or make a copy of it before the conversion.