Apply material color to display color?

There seems to be a few threads asking the opposite, but a display color is just a “fleeting” value associated to an object and when you change it to a different color, the old color is “gone” (or just lives temporarily in the color picker.

Meanwhile, a material always has a color associated to it (unless you set a texture) and that material lives on whether you use it or not (until you Purge it).

So, right now, my workflow is:

1. Set material for an object/subobject
  2. Set display color for an object/subobject

That’s flexible and nice, but at least for me, the distinction is unused pretty much 100% of the time. I want what I see in the rendered view to look like the other views (to not have that would be an exception and not the rule for me).

So, then I see a tip from @Pascal about SynchronizeRenderColors. Unfortunately, although I got a message that “1 object was synchronized”, neither the object’s color or material’s color was updated, so I don’t know what it did (R7 SR10).

Is there a SynchronizeDisplayColorsToMaterialColor ?

Hi, why would you like to see the material color in the rendered view instead of the material itself? You could use the shaded view to see objects shaded in the material color automatically, you don´t need the rendered view for this. The rendered view rather gives you an idea of materials and shadows. Or am I mistaken here?

No, that is not what I meant!

All I want is to only have to select an object’s color once, and preferrably when I choose its material.

Ie, in the above image, when I select the (red) material, I want the display color to also update (from green to the same red).

Ok, what is the exact reason? Why would you like to update the display color automatically? You don´t need the display color if your material color should be the displayed color. There are options to achieve this → in this case you don´t need the display color (just leave the default there). If you need an exception, than you can manually choose a different display color.

Ok, so what options are those and will the colors then get exported to STEP as well using those options?

Well, you wrote in your OP that you want to have a rendered view that looks like the other views. I didn´t know your question is about exporting objects and maintaining its colors. Can´t help you there.

Hello - see if this does what you need -

MaterialColorToObject.py (471 Bytes)

To use the Python script use RunPythonScript, or a macro:

_-RunPythonScript "Full path to py file inside double-quotes"

-Pascal

1 Like

Yes, that’s great, thank you!

These days 99% of my color assignments are per-face, though. :wink: